Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
carl s.
Top Scoob 026

Member#: 119034
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96 Open Class STI

Default rolled the rally car 3 times

At the Nemadji Trail 3 stage rally I rolled our Open Light class STI 3 times. I had driven this rally 2 previous times (each rally goes over the roads multiple times) so I was familiar with stage. I just carried more speed through the 2 preceeding corners than I did in the past and didn't initiate my slide for the next corner accordingly (only 10-20 ft. too late). I also neglected to realized the roads were softer than previous races and that the cars before us would move all the soft dirt/sand/gravel to the outside of the corner. you can see on the out of car footage we are holding the inside line through the corner and are almost through it when the car starts backing away from the inside - that's when my right rear tire tapped the soft stuff and sucked us down. the ditch dropped away and we were going too fast too sideways at that point (65mph + ) and we went over. I didn't have enough torque (n/a motor) to get out of the soft stuff once it got hold of the tire. If you watch the in-car you see my arm come out during the first roll - I'm reaching for the shifter (where it used to be) to grab second to try and power out by didn't realize we were already going airborn (I immediately crossed my arms after that). You can also see dave's arm come up to shield his face as the windshield came through on his side).

this was a tough rally. mark utecht rolled the mustang as well and another driver took a tree in the right side just ahead of the B pillar.

our car is fixable and will be at ojibwe. it will be many colors

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
carl s. is offline   Reply With Quote