View Single Post
Old 09-09-2004, 06:07 AM   #7
Carlos Fandango
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 16206

thanks guys, you are spot on.

I am in fact in the UK and was going to bring in a USDM 6MT from the states.

To set things straight, I need a gearbox which might be able to handle 500+lbft from 3000rpm. Trouble is with that much torque I want the gears to be spread over >200mph (with a 7500rpm redline). Your 6 speed seems to have better gearing than the 6 speed from japan and the UK (longer 5th and 6th only) but is still shorter than my 5 speed which is of course spread over only 5 gears, hence using the torque more which is what I wanted to do.

I was told the 05 sti had longer gears than previous models, but until now was not aware of the ratios

The one I am really keen to see is the forester sti as I believe 8k rpm in 6th in that is around 217mph. I appreciate that I won't get anywhere near there but the top speed of the box is a good indication of how well it is spread over the gears.

My current fifth is a 0.738 with a 3.9 final drive, so is longer, but there is no guarantee that it can take it. I know the same can be said for the 6mt but at least the gears are that much bigger, as is the casing, and it is still a pleasant synchro box.

But if I have a theoretical 200mph, I would rather that it were spread over 5 gears than 6, else with 500lbft I will be forever reaching for the next gear.

Info is very much appreciate, but does anyone know how it compares the the forester six speed?

I suspect that may be the better bet.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Carlos Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote