Scooby Newbie

Member#: 334231
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza OBS
Obs. Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
You're welcome! Yeah, on the first photo I"d say the angle is a bit too much. It actually might not be so bad if the car was on the right side of the frame, but because it's on the left side and it's facing left, it looks like the car's on its way to fall out of the frame. Remember, generally you want to have the car look like it's coming into the frame rather than leaving it, since people's eyes tend to follow the perceived path that the car is taking.

The night shot definitely has better white balance, but you've got another problem that often happens with night shots -- uneven lighting. The front of the car in particular is a lot darker than the rest of the car since the main light is to the rear of the driver's side. To fix this, most people either position the car so that more even light hits the car, use their own artificial lighting (strobes or light painting) or get really creative (often too much) with post-processing. Either way though, nothing quite replaces a big ball of fire 93 million miles away, especially in terms of making things look natural.

Wow... I never would have thought of the car looking like its falling out of the frame. I knew something didn't quite look right, but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Great suggestion, Thank you!

I promise this is my last night shot without proper lighting... I realize there are so many things wrong with this photo (cars growing trees, composition, lighting, etc.), but my question is particularly about photographing headlights and making them look natural. It seems even with a smaller f-stop (high number), I get quite a glare from the lights as a result of trying to properly expose the rest of my subject. Any suggestions to this effect?

My other question relates to depth of field. I was expecting the trees in the background on this one to be much blurrier compared to the car. Is it perhaps too much backlight?

I was going more for something like this. The fencing in the background of this one is much closer to the car than the trees in the one above. How can I better control my depth of field?

Any other suggestions about how I could have better shot the second two? I think its time for a polarizer

Thanks as always!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
spwaterockit is offline   Reply With Quote