View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #41
GrpB
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 101976

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimStevens View Post
ATV is ~$8k new, so a DIY assembly could theoretically be done for around $13k, which is comparable to what you might spend on a brand new, top-shelf race kart. No pricing on the 700 model yet, though.

I'm curious about the 700 and also what kind of race series there are. I confess I'm tempted to be an early adopter here, but without some sort of place to compete this is pretty much worthless to me. I don't need a toy to hoon around in my backyard, I'd be looking for something to race...
Totally agree, without more info on the series, payouts, and contingency it's just a very nice goof-around toy.

Also, 660 Raptors were made in huge numbers and are easily available at low cost in the used market, and unlike the 450 based ATV's the 660 engine was basically unchanged through it's long production life. A build-from-scratch allowance using the 'lesser' 660 platform should be considered so people with the inclination can put their own frame together.

It's RWD, cable throttle, spec tires (I assume) and there won't be huge jumps, I don't think there's huge advantage in the chassis itself and I'm sure there's alot of builders that would prefer to build their own as they do for most of the off-road classes.

Formula Cross is like mini-Pro Lite except on a supermoto style course. Would be great fun but only if the cost is on par with karting, otherwise the # events/investment ratio is very low.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
GrpB is offline   Reply With Quote