Scooby Guru

Member#: 15341
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2012 Borderline Pro
Photographer of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blamecanada999 View Post
Verdugo, ever contemplated doing an excellent write-up like this one on moving automotive photography? Camera booms, what to look for in a location, etc? I've been a photo hobbyist for a while and I'm looking to step up from the stationary to the in-motion. I'm interested in any tips or tricks you have to share on the subject.
I'd love to write one up for using rigs but...I haven't used one yet! Soon hopefully though...getting one put together so once it's ready, I'll be sure to post up my trial and error results.

As for all the other motion shots I have in this thread, the main thing is to try to match the car's speed with an inverse shuttter (I think that's right, I always hated math). For example, if the car's going at 60 mph, start with a shutter speed of 1/60. A little faster will give you more definition on the spokes, but a little slower will make the car look like it's going super fast. I'm usually pretty far out the passenger side window when taking these shots, but I've also gotten pretty damn low as well. I took this hanging out the side of our family's minivan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiFuSpEc View Post
Unless it's a pocket wizard heehee.. turning night into day

and i'm not sure if you mentioned not to use any filters at night photography cause of the glare from the filter?
Pocket Wizard FTW! And you're right, generally you don't want to use any filters at night. I've still had success using my circular polarizer, but at the same time, I've noticed it wasn't necessarily needed either.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote