Czum
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 164132
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
01 Forester L SGM
02 WRX Wagon TBE AW

Thanks for the quick replies so far.

Yes, I had the fuel leak problem (started as soon as the weather got really cold (below -20C)) - just replaced the rail and all the rubber hoses a couple of weeks ago. Disappointed that Subaru hasn't made this a recall item. Still no joy, although the heavy leakage that had been occurring is gone. Don't smell gas anymore, except when first starting up on cold days and the car runs really rich. Also put in a block heater. I'll try the suggestion about removing the intake scoop, although it may be moot now (getting up above freezing today!). I should have mentioned that I have a drop-in K&N filter, so incoming air may get in quicker and experience less heating in the engine bay.

Still wondering about the Cobb economy MAP and if anyone was happy with it. I might ask Cobb to consider a cold weather custom MAP - the car is REALLY rich when its cold, maybe too much so. Have to wonder if I couldn't lean it out somewhat and still have reasonable starting. Also have to wonder if the stock air temp sensor gives accurate values when it's -30/-45 outside, and whether the ECU is properly programmed to handle it.

Rayme, how much did you overinflate the tires? I've heard that some people recommend taking the max PSI and dropping it by 10% (so if the max is 40 PSI, then fill to 36, versus the stock recommendation of 30-ish). Do you lose much traction on ice, since the contact patch is smaller? I'll also look into the warm air intake - wasn't aware of these. Of course, there's always the trick of putting a piece of cardboard behind the grill - it's almost standard equipment in Canada
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Czum is offline   Reply With Quote