OperaWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 20093
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sport Wagon
Black

Quote:
Originally posted by andygold
Has anyone with this gas leak problem encountered starting problems too? I've been getting the smell for the last month. I had an almost no-start when it was around 10F below. It cranked for about 30 or 40 times before it caught. The other day it was about -20F (without the windchill), and although the car would crank, albeit slightly slowly, it would not start. It would not even pop, until the battery was almost totally dead. I truly had about 3 or 4 minutes of cranking power (I cranked it only a couple of seconds at a time before pausing). It finally started to pop, just as the battery went dead. When I finally found someone to give me a jump, it instantly started, and within a few seconds, I had so much smoke coming out from the passenger side front of the engine, that I yelled for the other car to back away. I thought my car was on fire. It was a really thick smoke screen.

I am assuming that the fuel was not getting to the engine, but exiting throught the path of least resistance...right onto the manifold. When the car started the fuel instantly vaporized into that thick smoke cloud.

Anyone else have any starting problems along with the gas smell?

Just for informational purposes....my car has over 70,000 miles on it. Subaru Dealer says I have to pay for repairs, as I'm out of warranty. Subaru Corporate says my Classic warranty will pay for the "Bulletin" repairs, but not the "four hoseclamp fix". I asked Corporate, what if I cannot afford the fix, and car burns. Their answer was that Subaru has absolutely no liability once the car is out of waranty. This truly should be a recall, and not a bulletin.
If I were you I would contact your consumer protection agency and a lawyer. Inform Subaru of this and see what they say then. If no reaction, then it might be time to call you local Fox affiliates news department as well as Consumer Reports.
Maybe that will wake Subaru up.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
OperaWRX is offline   Reply With Quote