Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255585
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2009 GE6 5MT
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakar View Post
I wonder if your AWD system will be messed up as without VDC controlling distribution of power you'll be stuck with your open diffs doing 1 wheel peels so to speak?
It's funny that the 2009 service manual mentions nothing about VTD except in the glossary.

I'm not sure if it will be messed up, but on this one I'll have to trust the legacy guys.

One thing I read though, is that VTD-AWD is only on 4EAT or 5EAT, but not on 5MT. Instead, 5MT has the viscous-coupled center differential. So I think VTD is missing on 5MT.

___

Found this in the legacy forum....

3. Variable Torque Distribution (VTD):

It has the MPT (multi plate transfer) clutch aka VTC as found in the Active AWD system but it also has a planetary-type center differential and a Rear LSD. The center differential provides the ability to have a default torque split of 45/55 front/rear (as against the 90/10 split in Active AWD). In every other aspect it is similar to the Active AWD in that it anticipates wheel slippage instead of reacting to it as in the case of a MT. We can say the the VTD is an advanced Active AWD system

Available with 4EAT on Impreza WRX
Available with 5EAT on Outback XT, Outback 3.0R, Legacy GT

So again which system is the best? I would say the order could be as follows:

1. DCCD with Front and Rear LSDs - WRX Sti
  2. VTD - 4EAT on WRX and 5EAT on Outback XT, Outback 3.0R and Legacy GT
  3. Active AWD with Rear LSD: 4EAT on Outback 2.5i
  4. Tie. Depends on what you need more? proactive AWD system or the Rear LSD (if offroading)
    • Active AWD without Rear LSD: 4EAT on Impreza 2.5i, Legacy 2.5i and Legacy 2.5i Ltd
    • Continuous AWD with Rear LSD: 5MT on WRX, Legacy GT, Outback 2.5i, Outback XT and 6MT on spec.B
  5. Continuous AWD without Rear LSD: 5MT on Impreza 2.5i and Legacy 2.5i
( http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...mpt-48112.html )

So I guess my 'super inferior' *sniff* AWD system on my 5MT is not affected?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
iiclips is offline   Reply With Quote