View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #50
sdp lgt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 111178

on a side note - I'll explain why we class the way we do- and would love to hear your feedback:

In the SCCA you have 3 classes per drivetrain - stock/prepared/and modified.
My RS ended up in the modified class, competing against fully tuned WRX's with anti-lag, and stage 2 STi's with gravel tires. We also had several FWD and RWD cars that could very easily keep up with their AWD counterparts.

So our thought was to class cars together as close as possible based on the cars capability - and then let it be as much of a drivers match as possible. (Like a very very toned down version of Autocross classing)

The problems with that are:
1. We don't have enough competitors to really really match everyone evenly. We arbitrarily decided on 4 classes because the numbers work out very well to keep things even and make every class have a good number of people. This does mean you still get some disparity between cars.

2. Weather - a 2WD car in the rain and mud has a much larger handicap than an AWD car in the rain/mud

3. Identifying which classes to put cars in is not as concrete as It could be, and I understand why there is some confusion. Currently we leave final classing up to the person running tech inspection in the morning, with the goal of trying to evenly place cars in the 4 classes as much as possible. We have general guidelines that we aim to follow - but sometimes we may take some liberties based on individual cars. After this series we will re-evaluate how we do classing.

hope this helps explain things, at least a little
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
sdp lgt is offline   Reply With Quote