DjBroke
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 103032
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateLurker
OK, just took a drive with my girlfriend so I could find out exactly where my rear-window (the very back one, technically called a "back-light") rattle/tapping is coming from and hopefully describe it in detail.

I'm almost 100% positive that it's coming from the joint where the back window meets the roof under the headliner. When I pull the headliner down the sound definitely gets louder. It may also be coming from the side and bottom rear-window joints, but I can't get my head close enough to those areas to be certain...lol.

The best way I can describe the sound is like several girls tapping their fingernails on a desk, but really fast, so fast in fact, that it almost sounds like a scraping sound at times. The sound is quite brite, and certainly suggests that the joints holding the rear-window in are compromised.

Has anyone fixed this one?
You and me both brother. No fix, but that is my EXACT prob. Car doesn't have any other major rattles, except this one. I too pulled the plastic housing ooff from the driver's rear seatbelt area and the noise was definately louder.

I am going to check the seat bolts but I am almost postive the noise is coming from head level, behind that panel. My first impression when I heard the noise was that the rear window was shifting in the rubber trim.

If I can't fix the prob by this week, I'm going to the dealer (or car window comp.) and asking how much to pull my rear window out, and reseat it with some thicker/different trim.

Sound is described as above, fingernail on window noise worsened by temperature drops. If I drive on a smooth road it won't do it, until I swurve back and forth (like an F1 tire warm up move).

My car is 11 months old with 30K miles and I noticed this about 5-8K ago. wouldn't think it would be my struts/shocks.

Again, I will check the backseat bolts and post back, but I'm 92% sure thats not it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
DjBroke is offline   Reply With Quote