Old 11-03-2002, 11:47 PM   #7
AZScoobie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 8785
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
02 c_turner@ix.
netcom.com

Good post and good advice Jon. Just this week I was discussing checking pre turbine pressure with a fellow Icluber. I have done this before on other turbo cars. One car that was making 20 psi on the intake side was making 30 psi on the exhaust side pre turbine.

Installing a Bung, Stainless line, then barb with hose to a Boost gauge is a cheap and easy way to check Pre turbine pressure. Keep in mind that if the gauge leaks you will be sending HOT gases to the gauge and in the car with you.. If you use a long hose with a Stainless leeder you will be fine. The Cheap $40 VDO mechanical gauge works for this purpose.

Secondly I can also suggest a Turbine EGT probe in conjunction with a manifold EGT probe. A reading of say 800C at the manifold and a reading of 900C "in" the turbine housing would be an indication of pressure. If you compress a gas you make heat. 900C is the limit for "most" turbo companys in the turbine housing. Damage is being done at that level. Turbine or housing that is flows more is needed in this case.

I check AF in the downpipe at the base of the lower bend. Day by day I realize that the stock Wideband is not the answer to tuning like we all once thought. My question is this... How do we know that the stock ECU is not adjusting for such backpressure? At least a known figure on a stock car....?

CT
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AZScoobie is offline   Reply With Quote