yonrin kudo
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 17019
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
PSM

Hi T33,

I don't think you need to grind down the plate. I installed my KB shifter and it hit the metal too at first. After the simple fix, the shifter felt and still feels good - much better than stock in my opinion.

From Scoobymods.com: "Some people have had the rod that is attached to the shifter contact the surround plate when in first gear (see pic) When I installed this one, it would hit the plate if I pushed up on the shifter. There are a few simple solutions. First I'd try and loosen the 4 - 10mm bolts that hold the plate that's being contacted (see pics). The holes under the bolts are oval to the right and left and will allow the plate to be adjusted a little. With the bolts loose shift the plate up and to the left then tighten it down. This may be enough to help. If not and you need more clearance, remove the plate by taking out the 4 bolts. It will lift right off. Now you can do one of two things, make the bolt holes a little bigger so you have more adjustment or use a flat file (or Dremel) and remove some of the metal where the rod contacts by beveling it. I used a file and took off a small amount of metal. That did the trick for me. Putting the plate back on is easy. Just be careful to get the small rubber tips in the centering holes at the center of the top and bottom."

Scoobymods KB Install

Try it out. It would be great if every aftermarket part was an exact fit, but tight tolerances don't allow for that sometimes.

Cheers,
Dai
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.