ccmah
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 79050
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Default Vancouver's archaic driving/speed policies

Hello all, some of you may have seen some of my postings on speeding enforcement policies, etc.

I recently moved to SF/San Jose, and it's amazing how different transportation is managed here. "Knock wood", I notice how the police so far, have been about preventing accidents but not hindering the flow of traffic by giving mass tickets and trick-tactics.

On all major highways during rush hour, their version of bad traffic is 65-75km/h, and good traffic is 120-140km/h.

How the cops enforce is that as long as you are flow of traffic, they may:

1. Pin point a car and ticket to prove a point to slow down traffic
2. If too fast and furious, they go weaving in and out of traffic, using their loud speakers and telling people to slow down.
3. If no affect with the speakers, they will do hard brakes in front of speeders to slow the traffic to a normative 115-120km/h.

The speed limit on city streets is generally 65km/h, so for me, it's been fine going the speed limit. Most people in San Jose/Santa Clara go 80km/h, so the cops look out for those. School Zones are 45km/h, but instead of police, they have reader boards to embarrass the drivers who are going through at 70km/h.

It's really an eye-opening experience. I think Vancouver can learn a thing or two on how to prevent accidents while keeping traffic moving. The only people at my office who get tickets, are the ones who go 10 - 15 miles an hour over the speed limit - that's like 15 - 25km/h over the speed limit.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ccmah is offline   Reply With Quote