View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #293
victor1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 147882

Yes we soaked it. I used a blow torch to heat the axle for a few minutes. Let it cool and rented a HEAVY DUTY axle pusher. I cranked the hell out of it with the breaker bar and it finally came loose and it was a struggle to push it out of the hub veeeeery slowly.
I used a slide hammer to push out the hub with a few hard whacks.
I then made that home-made PVC pusher and it worked amazingly well. You need a very thick block of wood (about 5" or so) to put in front of it and some large diameter washers (3") so you can crank the threaded rod. Also washers on the other end in contact with the bearing. It took an insane amount of force with the breaker bar (I had to stand my weight on it) to push the bearing out. I thought that the PVC pipe would snap - but now way!! That PVC pipe can withstand thousands of pounds of force. But that block of wood better be thick and strong cause the PVC pipe will dig right in it. I didn't need to remove the knee at all - YES!
And when you push in the new bearing into the knee, use the old bearing housing to push it in with the PVC pusher. It went in with very little force.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by victor1; 05-06-2007 at 06:47 PM.
victor1 is offline   Reply With Quote