Swanelious
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 354133
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5i
Blue

Default Replacing the ol' bearings...

Ok, so I posted a while back about doing a JDM swap with my car. I was doing this because I found cracks in the heads around the spark plug threads. Come to find out this is such a common problem and a lot of folks say not to worry about them. Seeing as I don't have much invested in the car at this point, I figured I would clean them up, put a new gasket set on and roll with them. The point of failure for this motor was the exhaust valves anyway, not a cracked cylinder head. It's a 2002 WRX, over 230k miles on the engine.

So I decided to split the case and look at all the bearings while I was at that point. One of the mains is pretty chewed up and all the rod bearings look pretty rough. The crank is not scored, doesn't really have any marks at all on it. I measured the journals with uncertain results. The specs for the rod journals in the manual are about 47mm, but i'm measuring over 50mm. Different crank than what's specified for, maybe? I'm trying to figure out if I should get the standard size, or any undersized bearings.

Right now I'm just considering getting one OEM rod bearing set, one OEM main bearing set, installing and measuring with plastigauge. Would there be anything wrong with that? The journals are all close enough to each other that doing that would tell me what size I could get for the rest of them.

Also I'm probably just going back with OEM bearings as I'm not doing any other upgrades at this time. Would anyone here recommend a different kind? I'm really after durability, not performance.

I am replacing the rings as well, in case anyone was wondering.

Another aside, and I've seen many discussions about this even on this board, what what's a good anaerobic sealer to use for the block halves? Someone mentioned that GM makes a good one, or Permatex, or even Loctite. I suppose really any of those would do.

I appreciate any input! Looking forward to going back together with this thing and seeing if she runs.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Swanelious is offline   Reply With Quote