Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by that one legacy
yes it's a '95 L
In other words, Jonathan's explanation of why the bumper didn't fit right on your car was exactly correct. Your advice to seowitz, who also has a '95 car, is correct, but your blanket statement that "no, the bumper covers for the '97-'99 GT (and '98-'99 L, 30th anniversary edition, and i believe the LSi as well) are very different from the L bumpers" is not correct. All of the '95/96 cars had a bumper that went straight across between the headlights - no dip below the grille. As such, the bumper support also went straight across.

The '97-99 GT and Outback has a dip under the grille, and the bumper support is a different shape than the earlier style - see here, which is my '97 bumper support. I've only found pictures of '98/99 base model Legacys, and they have that same dip (so the bumper support would have to be the same shape, otherwise the grille wouldn't fit). I think the '97 base model Legacy has a bumper like the '95/96 cars based on what I've seen, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiekid
The one thing that I want to know is why the 98-99 Brighton is listed differently as a 97-99 GT.

From just looking at the cars, the bumper looks the same. Maybe it has something to do with fog light covers vs no fog light covers.
The non-GT brother doesn't have fog light covers, but there are vanes (for lack of a better word) across what would be the fog light holes on the GT. Since they're (as far as know) a permanently molded part of the bumper, and not just a bolted on cover, the bumper covers are different parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plays_with_toys
How does one go about removing the front bumper support structure?
Pretty easy. There are held in place by two bolts on each side going into the top of the frame rail behind the headlights - I think they've got 14mm heads on 'em, but it could be 12mm. One is right behind the headlights, and the other is about 3 or 4 inches behind the first. On the driver side the rear bolt is nearly under the battery tray, but you can remove it without removing the battery. On the passenger side I had to remove something to get to the rear bolt.

Pat
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote