View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #228
WRXJohnny
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 337122
Smile look for a body shop first

Many things to consider about doing your own work body work.

1 get an estimate FIRST for what you want done, then compare it to the list of material you need. You may find it's cheaper to pay someone to do the job rather than buy $250 worth of material which you'll only use $35 of.

2. Find a body shop willing to point you in the right direction, and one that is willing to work with you and paint your project. Most shops REFUSE to paint anything they have not prepped themselves. The reason for that is, the paint job is only as good as the way its been prepared. Our reputation is on the line

3.Many times spray can primer is an air dry product. When a body shop paints over it, the paint swells the primer and the paint job turns into a mess which has to be redone by the body shop. Or, if you do luckily get through it without that problem, weeks later the primer shrinks back down and the paint either chips off or dulls out. I guarantee you will not get professional results without professional help and equipment.

NOW THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN

On the other hand, if you want to learn the basics of body work and enjoy doing it and are just wanting to make it look good without perfection, by all means go for it. I started with a can of putty and fixed my 61 chevy fender back in 1972. It looked like absolute CRAP but it was a masterpiece to me. I fell in love with Auto Body repair and have been doing it ever since. Good Luck to you, I hope you enjoy it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WRXJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote