View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #21
kaos200
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2692
Chapter/Region: TXIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITROS View Post
Until i can get scientific proof (Actual test results) that the gears have less stress i will continue to say may or may not be true. To me it sounds honestly that the engine has to do less work. And i have reason to believe my 3rd went because of driveline shock because of crappy ecu programming in the stock 04 ecu. I had shocked my tranny dozens of times during throttle lift, before i got my utec. Then by doubling my TQ/HP output that finished it.
I like the fact that the gear ratios are better paired and that my third gear will get less shock force during shifts. That is what I am betting on to keep it together. Honestly, I believe a 04 wrx tranny can hold up really well provided that you installed a EM to get rid of driveline shock on lift when you bought the car.

My friend (drinkav8) with a gt30r kit put down somewhere in the range of 360 whp and his tranny lasted longer then mine. I only had about 36k on mine; he had 80k. And he shifts the damn car. I grannyshift and always slip in clutch during shifts. Him no so much. But his car is now wrecked so we dunno how much longer it would have lasted. (He had an EM on the car almost immediately after he bought it.)
My 3rd gear went during normal driving conditions and I wasnt on it or anything.
The "shock on lift" you are talking about is NOT what blew your gears. So the ecu tuning to remove "shock on lift" has nothing to do with it.
The reason it lets go under "normal" driving conditions is because it had already been damaged during a hard shift/shockload and was just waiting to let go.
The part in red with a bad shift is what killed your transmission.

And just to reiterate what everyone has said... Lower FDs will help relieve stress on your transmission. I don't know what part of that you don't get?
Think of it this way if you'd like instead of the crowbar analogy...
If you were using 16" wheels and romping on it, the engine is free to move the car quite quickly, and everything "moves along smoothly" for lack of a better term (running on a couple hours sleep here sorry lol).
Now, throw on a set of 25" wheels and tires (if that was even possible) and see how much work your engine has to do (against the poor tranny) to get the car moving. This increase in force necessary to move the car translates to more force on your gears. Less stress with smaller rims (lower FD) = less chance of gears snappin'.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kaos200 is offline   Reply With Quote