Old 11-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #1583
Scooby921
Merci Buckets

Member#: 88606
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 Grand Cherokee
Velvet Red Pearl

For the drive I think Holiday Valley in western NY is the best we can get. It's a 5-6hr drive and 990ft vertical. Its easily twice Boyne and Nubs for an hour longer drive. I think lift tickets are comparable or cheaper.

Mt. Holly spoils me because...

1. They are likely the most efficient bump in MI when it comes to making snow (large enough pump and enough snow guns to blanket the entire hill in a night, and for being man made it isn't the average sheet of ice and crumbles).
2. They actually have a high-speed lift making it easy to make a lot of runs.
3. All of their lifts work and can operate if necessary (unlike Brighton that has 1 working lift).
4. For being a tiny mountain they really do have a good range of runs/terrain between the lazy shallow slopes, the wide moderate slopes, or the steeper faster slopes with some moguls here and jumps, boxes, and rails there.
5. I ski for free (and can usually get one or two free tickets).

I've been to Caberfae once that I remember and I vaguely recall there being a second slope off in the back that was less crowded and better. The only time I've skied Crystal was racing in HS and I crashed, tore the binding off my ski, and used my shin to shear off one of the bamboo gates.

I'd be up for a Nubs trip if people want to do a Saturday or Sunday day trip (leave at 4am, arrive around 8:30 for breakfast, hit the hill at 9am for first tracks, ski 'til 4pm and get home by 9pm).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote