my0six
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 341826
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2005 WRX MY06
Light Bluish Silver

Hey guys, reviving the dead... again.

I've just had a new windscreen installed, which may be a coincidence, as I also live in the tropics and we've just had our first rains of the summer, but I have the dreaded film.

I've not had a go at it yet, aside from using windex and some special windscreen wipes (see: not that special), but I was just wondering what people have used to remove the film from "off-gassing" or "vinyl fog"?

This is not a new car, although I am pretty liberal with the protectants and whatnot (love my car).

I recently bought a new diving mask for snorkelling and the guy who I bought it from recommended using white toothpaste, the gritty type, specifically NOT the gel...
And scrubbing the hell out of the glass on the mask with it.
I thought that was rather obscure, but several divers have since confirmed it, with some even recommending using n actual toothbrush to scrub it in with.

Perhaps this could work on my windscreen? Food for thought, anyway.

Other suggestions I've heard include acetone and even steel wool in a very fine grade.

This one seems to cause the biggest arguments, despite glass being physically harder than steel. I've spoken to a few detailers who say throw a towel over the dash and use acetone and 0000 steel wool and then windex or something to clean it...

Sounds like a bit of a mission, what are people's experiences?

What works best / easiest?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
my0six is offline   Reply With Quote