View Single Post
Old 05-09-2000, 07:43 PM   #3
vinman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1425
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
Aspen White

I think using regular oil when the car is new is just a bad rumor. There are plenty expensive new cars out there that are shipped with synthetic oil. I've switched between regular and synthetic in my last car (93' Integra), mostly using regular and sold it after 170K miles. That engine was in great condition when I sold it and I never noticed a difference in performance. The only I did notice was I could go about 4-5K miles before changing when using synthetic since it wouldn't break down as soon. BTW, consumer's reports did a story on motor oils about a year ago (maybe 1.5 yrs) where they used many different motor oils (mobil, pennzoil, etc) in NYC cabs and then torn down the engines to check for wear after a several thousand miles (I don't remember how many miles but it was a lot). They didn't find any significant difference in wear in any of the engines. It was a fairly comprehensive and practical test, much more so than some of their other subjective tests. Their advice was to buy the viscosity recommended by the car manufacturer and as for synthetics, to only buy them if you don't change your oil when the manufacturer recommends.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.