Old 05-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #34
awilson529
RIP

Member#: 38867
Vehicle:
11 Mazda

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmilitia101 View Post
Here is a video of that ammo shot in ballistics gell. It only penetrates 8-9in and expands to less than half and inch. The minimum penetration that the FBI states is 12". In a handgun bullet, penetration is the most important and just about any 9mm and above load will meet the FBI standard with even better expansion than 5.7.

Elite Ammunition ProtecTOR IV Ballistic Tests - YouTube

Here is a post by DocGKR, a ballistics expert, on 5.7x28. He also lists other sources with the same information. Granted it's an older post that only talks about the SS190 FN load but he states that the 5.7x28 is a poor choice for HD.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19913

9mm is an all-around better round. It doesn't have much recoil either and pretty easy to keep COM. A glock 19 will carry 16 rounds of a suitable and well tested defensive round which will be better than 20 rounds that someone heard that they are better.

If anyone can provide more information about 5.7x28 ballistics and show it being better than 9mm then I will change my mind on the subject.
Eh, people carry .38 and .380. That 5.7 wound channel looks worse, imo. But it is a new gun, so I wanted to have it for a day. I have other guns that I'd use in SD/HD first, not all long guns, either.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.