View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
busyychild
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 270571
Chapter/Region: South East
Default DIY: GR - Alternate/Oldschool Horn Install Location w/ SickSpeed Horns

My most recent project was to install some hella horns in my GR Sedan. I initially bought Hella Panther horns, I personally did not like the tone and color. Decided to give the SickSpeed horns a shot. When I installed the Hella's I used a home made bracket that bolted in the center support in the grill. It didnt seem all that stable, was hard to hide the wires, so I decided to go the oldschool route of mounting them on the radiator support beam using the preexisting holes.

I used 12awg wires throughout the entire setup w/ a 20amp mini fuse on the hot wire to the relay.

I used the center bolt on the center support for the ground. I will eventually move it to the horn mounts for a complete no wire seen install.

You have to pop out the plastic mount for the hood release cable on the drivers side where you will mount the horn. So far I have not found any problem with leaving the cable free/hanging at that location. The cable is pretty taught on its own.

Overall I like the tone better on the SickSpeed horns. Much deeper and seem to be louder. I haven't been on the receiving end of the horns so I cannot tell for sure. I will eventually remove the secondary OEM horn as it sounds funny in concert with the new horns.

(Pro tip: Pin 86 on the relay is for the horn signal wire. The instructions from SickSpeed are wrong.)

(Pro tip 2: Click the images to make them larger.)

• Hella Panther vs. Sickspeed (you can see the size difference)

• Parts needed for mounting, if I recall 8mm or 10mm self locking nut/bolt with rubber and metal washers.
    (Order of install: bolt/metal washer/rubber washer/radiator support/rubber washer/horn/metal washer/nut)

• Mounted

(poor bumper :crying

• Horn ground

• All buttoned up

• Mean smile

• Wiring (tucked+ran between the radiator foam and the radiator support)

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
busyychild is offline   Reply With Quote