Old 03-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #11
07STifastashell
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 291793
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2007 STi Dom built
*sold*

A catback exhaust does NOT require a tune. However, to see any noticeable power gains a tune would be needed. If it was a turbo back exhaust then you would need a tune. Replacing the stock downpipe with an aftermarket one would cause the air fuel ratio to be very off and your car would run dangerously lean. Also, do not tune your car. Not even using Cobb Accessport unless you are comfortable with voiding your engine warranty. I would strongly suggest you try to avoid warranty altering mods. The cbe wouldn't void anything though. I bought my 07 sti around a year and a half ago, got a cbe and ap stage 1 tune. Because of how previous owners treated the car (apparently it would seem they abused it), during a 4th gear pull, there was boost creep and the car over boosted. Spun rod bearing. Shortblock and turbo are done. My warranty expired 6 months ago but there is still a chance to get Subaru of America to cover failures like that as long as the car has not been modified like that, especially a tune. The lesson here, be careful with your modifications. If you can easily afford 8 grand in repairs, modify your car how you please. However, I still wouldn't suggest it with a brand new car.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.