Old 11-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #33
outbax08
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 194199
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza OBS
Obsidian Pearl

I've changed the oil on alot of cars (not on my 2008 OBS tho), and its pretty simple. There are alot of websites out there that have the basic procedure, and your owner's manual should have info on how to do it, but I'll list the steps for you here anyway.

1. Run the car for a lil while, like maybe 5 minutes idling. The oil flows better when its a little warm, but if the car has been running for a long time, it'll be real hot.
2. Find the drain plug (sry, can't help you there on the 2.5i, this is my first sube), and remove it, the oil will start coming out once you do. Be sure your oil pan is positioned to catch the oil before you remove the plug!
3. Once the oil is all out find the oil filter and unscrew it. You should be able to remove it by hand. Remember lefty loosey righty tighty. Lol. There is oil in this bad boy too and it will start running out once you've got the oil filter loosened up. Again, make sure your oil pan is positioned under it.
4. Get the new oil filter out and fill it up with new oil. Be sure to spread a little bit of the new oil around the black rubber gasket of the new filter with your finger.
5. Next put the oil filter back on the engine and screw it in. This part is a little tricky because oil will be coming out of the filter and onto you while you're trying to screw the damn thing into the engine. Still, you gotta be careful because it is easy to mis-thread the filter and then you're in a boatload of hurt.
6. When screwing the new filter in, be sure that it is real easy to turn for at least a few full revolutions, this somewhat ensures that the filter isn't mis-threaded. Continue turning until you feel the rubber gasket make contact with the engine, and then turn about 1/3 to 1/2 revolution farther. It doesn't have to be SUPER tight.
7. Replace the drain plug and fill the engine back up with oil to the manufacturer recommended level. The amount of oil required will be in your users manual.

So thats pretty much it. However, there are a few reasons why you probably want to take your car to the dealer to have this done (I know, I know paying someone else work on your car is like paying someone to sleep with your girl, but still). Your manufacturer's powertrain warranty is contingent on the proper maintenance of the engine and that includes oil changes. Not that its hard to do, but it can be a POTA to keep the neccessary documentation safe in case you (heaven forbid) need to cash in on the warranty and SOA asks you to prove that YOU changed the oil every 7.5k miles.
Anyway, if you decide to do it yourself more power to you, just keep your autozone receipts or whatever.

Also, use I'm pretty sure our cars all come with synthetic motor oil. Its important to keep consistent (either conventional or synthetic). The type of oil you need should be listed in your owner's manual somewhere.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
outbax08 is offline   Reply With Quote