DTM21
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 100283
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
'18 WRX Premium DGM
'05 S2000

Default Titanium STI Key on 06 STI

So after buying some parts for my 06 STI to go stage 2, I threw in the titanium STI key because I just bought a 02 WRX Wagon and thought it would be cool to have. Well after much debate I decided to just try to use it on my STI instead. I mean, it would be nice if it worked...

After much research and asking of some friends, I got everything from "I'd take it to the dealer", to "no one can cut this because it's TITANIUM!!!", or even "I'd take it to a locksmith, they are less likely to mess it up." FYI only the handle part is titanium...the functional part is just standard key material.

So I called two local dealers, one told me that they would cut it, if I had proof of ownership but they wouldn't guarantee the cut because I was supplying my own blank. Another told me that they would but their machine was not working that great and didn't want to mess up the blank, so they recommended a locksmith. Oh and neither of these dealerships parts department even knew what I was talking about when I spoke of a "STI Key", this was very disappointing.

So very confused and not sure what to do, I went to Lowe's to get some ant spray and stopped to talk to the key cutting guy. I asked him about the process of cutting and if he could do it. The guy was very knowledgeable and showed me that their machine works by using the original key to guide the cutting wheels and that's what cuts the blank. So after some more talking I decided I would buy a $2 blank and test it first.

Now I have heard that you can just leave your standard key on the key chain and it will work, but I have not seen it actually in practice. So he cuts the $2 Lowe's blank and I take it out to the car. It not only unlocks my doors, but starts the car with no hesitation! I was very pleased!!!

So I took the STI Key Blank back inside and told him to cut it. You know how this ends, it works and all is good!

Now I will say this...having both keys on the same key ring is kinda goofy and is a load in the pocket to carry around. Also, I did have it not start properly one time out of about 10 times trying it. I think that the original was just too far away from the ignition switch, so I took my time the next time and it started.

Just thought I would write something on here, because most of the information I found was kind of vague. I hope this clears up some stuff for others!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
DTM21 is offline   Reply With Quote