Scooby Newbie

Member#: 147527
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsmanager423 View Post
I am really surprised at the lenght of this thread and the fact that some of you think we have some kind of alternate reason for getting VIN beyond the obvious....trying to get the right part the first time for the customer. Parts professionals have no interest in doing anything but selling parts to their customers. Manufacturers (all manufacturers) make changes in design, vendor, etc throughtout the model years. We used to depend on the production date and the VIN. We would have to break down the VIN in the paper catalog and then go to the page, look for the specific model and then find the proper production date range to get the correct part. Now...we just enter the VIN and go to the page we need, click on the number next to the little picture and bingo....we have the correct part number for your vehicle.
Body shops and mechanical shops know that providing the VIN helps them get the right part the first time thus satisfying their customers. Is it perfect? No, because it depends on information provided by the manufacturer who, like all humans, does make mistakes. I get far more calls from folks who got the wrong parts than I do from someone who is refusing to give my counter people their VIN. Stop being so damned paranoid.......

Absolutely. Obviously most of the people reading this thread have never been on the other side of the counter. As cars become more and more complex, and variances within a model become more pronounced, their is no way a parts person can keep up without computer help.

Those complaining must be the ones who call up "Uh, I need a set of pads for a Legacy?" What year. Is in an Outback or GT. Does it have stability control. Maybe it is a Spec B? How would parts person know this without a VIn?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.