View Single Post
Old 01-25-2001, 10:28 AM   #10
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1610
I agree with in in principle, but in the current application whatever restriction caused by the size of the box inlet is lilliputian in comparison to the restriction caused by the filter.
Meaning, that it does not matter if the upstream restriction is 500mm or 50mm when the effective restriction of the filter element is 25mm. Without some sort of velocity stack the maximum restriction is still the air filter, the only (cheap) way I can think of getting around the restriction of the air filter is to increase the surface area that air is filtered through.

Adding a cone filter MAY do this, (see my above post) but unless steps are taken to prevent hot underhood air from getting sucked into the engine, you will see a performance reduction.

And then there is the possibility that the cone is located in a low pressure area under the hood when the car is at highway speed-- this would reduce your engine output even more.

If you are worried about K&N filter oil on your hot wire check this out: http://www.i-club.com/ubb-files/Forum3/HTML/000147.html

[This message has been edited by CRZ_MSL (edited January 25, 2001).]
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.