Vendor Sales Rating: (129)

Member#: 75146
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdvma
Charles,

How does a bar or cage that is a bolt-in cage compare in strength during a rollover situation to that of a similar construction but welded? I like the idea of a bolt-in roll hoop for doing the occational offroad events but what I'm interested in is will it be more than just a false sence of security? There have been a lot of people that state a bolt-in is useless, but I know you guys don't sell stuff that doesn't work so I'm curious on your input. Thanks.

-Chris
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your questions.

To my knowledge there has never been any test data published regarding this question. Test data is the only true answer to this question. I can say that an Autopower six point bolt roll cage is legal for SCCA and NASA club racing. Even with our litigious society these race organizations still allow a bolt in cage so they must be reasonably safe as long as they are installed properly. The FIA also still allows bolt in cages for full on rally racing and they do test cages for homologation.

In my opinion a car with a bolt in Autopower roll bar or cage is a big upgrade in safety over a car that has no cage at all asuming that the roll bar or cage has proper padding for the head impact areas.

As far as people stating online that bolt in kits are useless? I think you have to take that with a grain of salt. I have found that many of these comments online come from folks that make a living welding in roll bars and cages. Those folks hate the fact that you can buy a pre-fabbed and pre-painted roll bar and cage (usually for less) since that takes money from them.

Certainly though a weld in cage is going to be stronger and safer than a bolt in cage. But again, a bolt in cage is stronger and safer than no cage at all.

I do hope this post helps.

Best regards,

Charles Buren
Safe Drives LLC
www.safedrives.com
cburen at safedrives.com
877-739-1713 toll free
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.