View Single Post
Old 10-17-2001, 09:47 AM   #6
Flashman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 11201
Vehicle:
1993 Mazda Miata
Red w/ Yellow Stripes

Default Re: WRX antilocks + bumps = dirty draws!

Quote:
Originally posted by westy66
phew.... had another *almost* disaster this weekend. i was in heavy traffic trying to get to the stadium and was merging over a lane, right on top of those steel "zipper" looking things that join sections of overpasses together. hit the bump, brakes went TO THE FLOOR, wife screamed , almost slammed into a BMW X5 that was stopped in the right lane.

DAMN, something has GOT to be done about this.... at this point tho', what can Subaru do? nothing!! its not like they can change a part to correct this, they are F#CKED UP! am i to assume the entire '02 lineup has these problems? or is this an Impreza problem? im worried for winter

Bob
This isn't a Subaru poblem, but a typical 'con' with ABS. Everything is a trade-off. ABS can be fooled by bumps on the road, railroad tracks, snow,etc. The most common examble is that of trying to stop in heavy snow. ABS makes it worse, since it does not allow the tire to 'dig in'. This has been an OLD OLD issue since ABS first came out with ANY car.

The good news is your ABS in the Subaru is top notch and as most modern cars has 4 sensors.. each tire works independently... so the effect is minimized as much as is possible.

Don't like it? Pull the fuse and practice manual panic bracking. Personally, I prefer ABS. I believe its pros outweight the cons. I got a couple flat spotted front tires on my Miata once that really brought the point home ($$).

Rick
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote