Reflex-Arc
Lord of the Gif

Member#: 1703
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2020 Giulia TI Sport
Black

Question Exhaust install question.

This weekend I received and installed a Brullen catback exhaust. Upon install I found that the spring loaded bolts that connect the midpipe to the cat were to short due to the fact that the flange on the brullen was about 1/4 to 1/2 inches farther back than the stock set up. As a quick fix, I went to the hardware store and got to bolts and some large washers to hold the spring in place and connected the two pieces. When I fired up the car there was a stong odor of exhaust fumes in the car, so I crawled under the car and tightened my makeshift springbolts a bit further. Next time I fired up the car, the exhaust fumes were gone. Also, after the ECU reset, when the car sits and idles for a while, I did nto notice any exhaust smell. I figured that was that. However, now I have noticed a sweet/hot smell coming from under the car after a spirited drive.
My question is; Have I tighened down my MacGyvered bolts to far and am I cooking the Cat somehow (please note, the springs are not fully compressed) or is that smell just the new midpipe cooking off the black paint it came with (I have noticed that it has bubbled and/or flaked near the cat)?

Is it normal for a new exhaust system to smell "hot" for a while after the install?

Thank's for any help/reassurance you can give me
-Jamie
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reflex-Arc is offline   Reply With Quote