Scooby Newbie

Member#: 350059
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
'13 Impreza 5dr MT
SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
He and I have agreed to disagree. He claims I can't possibly have a valid opinion since I've never actually driven a VW with the DSG tranny. I tell him that I don't need to drive a DSG to have my opinion, because no matter how effectively the DSG shifts, it doesn't have a clutch (at least not one that I can engage with my left foot), and it doesn't have a shift lever to move through the H pattern, and that's the process that I enjoy.
I owned a Mk5 R32 for two years and I really wanted to love the DSG. I thought it was the solution to the impasse between automatic convenience and manual performance and that future enthusiasts would have to live with the closest approximation of a stick shift. I was wrong, and I was wrong against my own interests.

Now, I don't want to come off implying that MTs are better in some general way. It's just a different utensil. Sometimes you want a fork when a spoon will do.
If I had to drive daily down the Schuylkill, or the 405, or around 495 during rush hour I'd be miserable with a clutch. Any auto would be preferable.
If I tracked my car I'd want a DCT. It was undoubtedly faster and allowed me to focus much more on driving the car at the limit. But I don't. So manual it is.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
NSU is offline   Reply With Quote