Scooby Guru

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181stLeader View Post
I have 225/45/17 on my OEM BBS. This is the OEM tire size. My BBS are off an 05 STi so they are 17x8's.
That's nice and all, but he's got an Outback, which comes from the factory with taller tires than your WRX. The 225/50-18 is the correct +2 size for his application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181stLeader View Post
With a 225 width 45 aspect ratio should be fine.
It would fit the wheel fine, but would throw his speedometer and odometer off by 2.5%. Since the "correct" +2 tires (225/50-18) are available it seems silly to buy the wrong size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony05 View Post
Nankang is a new brand that is not very popular but I hear they are great tires.
As scooby4life already said, Nankangs aren't new. They've been around for as long as I can remember, and they've made cheap, crappy tires that entire time. There's a reason they're dirt cheap, and it's not because the people at Nankang are just really nice folks who don't want to make any profits.

Quote:
I guess i'm just going to wait a little longer and buy the Hankook Ventus V4 tires.
Seems like a reasonable choice. Another good option available for roughly the same price at discounttiredirect.com is the Falken Ziex 912.

Quote:
Ya I guess your right, 45 should be fine. just a little bit off 50. Awesome ill just buy the nankangs than I hear good things about the NS-II's from them
Quote:
I dunno man, so many people that own them say they are great tires ^^^^
One thing you will learn is that the average consumer knows Jack and **** about tires. They spend $500 or $600 getting new tires mounted and balanced, they don't want to admit they spent all that money on crap. And chances are pretty good that people who are buying cheap-ass Nankang tires have never had "real" performance tires on a car, thus their basis for comparison is garbage. There are plenty of guys who will tell you that Nitto NT450s are great tires, when in fact they're a horribly dated design with the grip of hockey pucks. But hey, at least they last forever since the rubber compound is rock hard!

Quote:
well what else is good that all season and has a nice sporty tread pattern, also as cheap as the nankangs?
You'll be extremely hard pressed to find other tires as cheap as the Nankangs, other than other brands that also suck (like Nexen, for instance).

Unless you're dead set of the Drag wheels, my suggestion would be to find some 17" take-offs in the Classifieds here. Some 225/55-17s will cost $100-150 less than 225/50-18s, and there will probably be a better selection of tires, too.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote