View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
Vaughn Performance
Former Vendor

Member#: 170489
Chapter/Region: SCIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastsnare View Post
My friend said the set he has are Tein Super Street (280lb springs according to my research), with the pillow-ball camber plate bits. He said that the height adjustment is a little corroded, but he is selling them so cheaply that it really won't hurt at all to scoop them up, and if I don't like them I could pass them along to someone else.
I had considered the Blacks too, it's just that when I looked at some photos of cars with them on, it didn't look like it was appreciably taller than the Yellows, so I was skeptical that they would be much better at all.
That and I was kind of interested in going to a higher spring rate, I guess the Blacks for my chassis of WRX are around 280lb springs also, and I was curious to try something in the 300's. And if I understand how coilovers work (assuming that the dampers are capable of handling the springs), you can get a set of whatever rate springs you like from someplace like Eibach, and experiment to find what you like....as opposed to picking a dedicated spring set, where you could probably mix and match brands to some degree, but it doesn't seem nearly as straightforward.
These springs probably have around 20k miles on them at most, and the D-Specs somewhat less.

If I was truly convinced that the Blacks are where it's at, I would do it, it's just that they are so darn expensive for springs :P
I can tell you for certain, you'll be less happy with the above mentioned coilover option then a set of proper working d-specs paired with good springs. For one they have spherical mounts which are going to be inherently firmer right off the bat. Regardless of the spring rate, if the dampers aren't that great your just not going to get them to ride/perform well. Played with Tein SS many moons ago was not impressed. Can tell you first hand they won't ride/perform better then the d-specs.

On top of that, price wise, good coilovers springs aren't cheap either, experimentation gets expensive, even if you're not getting top of the line coilover springs. One set of proper coilover springs is already more then/equivalent most good fixed perch strut springs. (I.E price a set of Swift metric coilover springs).

-Anthony
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Vaughn Performance; 11-28-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Vaughn Performance is offline   Reply With Quote