Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
youngxlos
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 232169
Vehicle:
2002 Hawkeye
World Rally Blue Pearl

Wiring turn signals and headlight leveling switch
So if you got the STi headlights with your conversion you probably got the leveling motors included, to get them to work is actually fairly simple.
here are the items you'll need to buy to get it to work.
06-07 STi leveling switch, this user on ebay jjimports <--- click to go to his page, sells the switch and sometimes even the switch and the harness which makes things much easier when doing the install.
Red 18 gauge wire, the package i bought had 40 feet which was plenty
Black 18 gauge wire, same as the previous
White or yellow 18 gauge wire they didn't have yellow when i went, also same length they are like $5 per package
2 packs of T-Taps
16-14 gauge ring terminals i bought this because the 18 gauge ones the hole was too small for the stock ground bolt, so i had to step it up to this size
and some butt connectors
Two 5ft conduct tite

For the turn signals i just bought 2 3 pin connectors from here
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Pin-Weather-Pack-Connector/dp/B0051PLP3U/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1351349017&sr=1-1
^^^^ click the links in the name of the items to see exactly what i bought

Let's get started

Headlight leveling switch

Once you have the leveling switch and all the items i listed above here is what i did to get mine to work.

If you had a bug eye you can use the turn signal plugs, they plugs right in to the leveling motor and it looks stock
here is what it looks like
MAKE SURE YOU CUT THE PLUGS WITH MORE WIRE THAN I DID, BECAUSE IT WOULD MAKE THE INSTALL MUCH EASIER AND YOU WONT EVEN HAVE TO MESS WITH REMOVING THE PINS LIKE I DID.

If you made the same mistake and cut the plug from the stock harness with little wire then you'll have to follow the next few steps.
Remove the pins from the plug.... i didn't use any special tools to remove it, just a lot of patience
here is what you need to do
remove the green cover from the bottom of the plug, then stick a very tiny flat head screw driver and do this

top and bottom of the plug, it took me a few tries but they will come off, I'm sure there is a tool but i didn't have it. once you're done this is what you should have

the leveling motor has 3 wires, red, yellow, and black
I marked what color went where when the plug was connected to the leveling motors

I didn't buy new pins, I just used a soldering iron and solder the new wires to the old wire and pin, be careful and don't make a mess with it, other wise the pins wont go back into the plug.

Make the passenger side wires 6ft long and the driver side headlight 10ft long.

here is what i did with the wiring
On the passenger side headlight I used a T tap to ground the whole circuit

I used this location to ground it, its right next to the stock airbox

I ran the 6ft passenger side wires to the driver side headlight
I used one of the 5 ft conduct tites here to protect the wiring.

You can see here I connected the 6ft passenger side wires to the driver side using T Taps.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by youngxlos; 10-27-2012 at 01:02 PM.
youngxlos is offline   Reply With Quote