Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49305
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2002 Stg.2 WRX Wagon
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon [in CT]
Subaru will/has supplied a list of calibration ID numbers and, for each calibration id number, the calibration vehicle number to expect to see if the ECU hasn't been tampered with. I imagine that Subaru dealers have this info, too.

What my little experiment would tell us is whether or not Cobb's reflash does anything to short circuit the CVN calculation or reporting so that a reflashed ECU continues to report the pre-reflash CVN value. If not, then there's a problem.
Even if Cobb does do so, there is still a potential problem.

You're assuming an onboard calculation and a very simple tool that just queries the ECU for the numbers.

However, if there is a standardized way to access the ECU memory from an offboard tool to checksum the data, then it doesn't really matter what the ECU reports. This is what the quote in Bill's post implies.

I'd assume they (ECU designers) would have considered the possibility of reflashed code reporting an "incorrect" ID. The only way around that is offboard checksum calculation, so it seems likely that this is infact what will be used in the more "advanced" tools to verify program integrity.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by realwomble; 10-19-2004 at 04:44 PM.
realwomble is offline   Reply With Quote