Scooby Guru

Member#: 67004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
02 vf30 pnp wagon
silver and cf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhargis View Post
True, it's very tough to address all of the issues that the aging design of the 5mt transmission presents... There was some company offering a steel collar and over-sized throwout bearing at one time, not sure if they're still in business.
I have one. They are still in business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhargis View Post
I figure adding some strength can't hurt. That's sort of the idea behind testing the case itself. This way I can zero in on specific areas that need the reinforcement most even if I can't solve all of the 5mt's design woes.

The aluminum bushings would be fairly low volume production meant for competitive driving. They'd definitely transfer some gear noise into the cabin. However, race cars tend to be noisy and unforgiving. I wouldn't recommend that kind of thing for somebody that doesn't want a noisy daily driver... unless you're a weirdo like me who loves gear noise.
Yes I understand but if you put those braces I would think that a U shaped brace(s) might help better. Yet I not scene blown boxes missing parts of the case unless the gear let go. Yet the price of the case is not unreasonable. It's to bad they don't make it from stronger material.

Ok aluminum mounts but I think your design won't hold very well. Cusco mounts seem like a better idea. Less vertical of a mount. Less failure problems. I would think I different method of a larger more solid. Yet this is just my thoughts.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
hybrid gti 2 is offline   Reply With Quote