Old 07-03-2003, 09:33 PM   #9
subysouth
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5039
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed (sold)

Bri I see what you are saying but you are using the discontinuity of the "correct" offset to use it as a proof that it creates a discontinuity. Its like using a word to define itself. Meaning the correct offset says that to correctly distribute width + and - the mounting face is to move the mounting face 53mm outwardof the wheel center no matter what the width is as long as clearance is satisfied.

Now what I am trying to understand is if you have empirical data that says more width in front of the hub or behind is in some way superior. That I would like to hear. You say that Subaru reducing the offset on a wider wheel proves your point of weight distribution, however it also supports Kostas point off strut clearance. Subrau also maintains the identical offset on wheels of varying widths (7 and 7.5" for instance.) which btw supports my point.

Reduction of offset moves more of the width of the wheel in front of the hub, this taken to an extreme can cause nearly immediate bearing failure. You are suggesting a +52mm offset for a 7" wheel while Subaru uses a +53mm. Subaru uses a +53mm offset on some of their 7.5" wheels and you are suggesting a +51mm.

My point is there are great issues to be discussed and debated, but you are placing yourself in the rather unenviable position of arguing with the people who built the cars. And the part that is still eluding me is based upon what principles are you saying your theory would be optimal. Are you saying too much width in front of or behind the mounting face is bad? If so why - specifically?

ss
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by subysouth; 07-03-2003 at 09:38 PM.
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote