View Single Post
Old 01-16-2003, 08:13 AM   #6
dug-e-fresh
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4568
Vehicle:
10.7 @ 136, '02 WRX
12.8 @ 112, '09 spec.B

Perhaps this is one of those lessons in semantics. I mean who determines whats ultra-high performance or max performance... or even just high performance? If the rating is left up to the manufacturer... I imagine the type is left up to them too.

Something I did notice however... the 451s I am seeing on these websites rated as Traction A, have one additional grove compared to my 451s graded AA.... enough tread gone to lower the rating perhaps? eh... if the AA is for wet, then more grooves should be better, no?

Heres a link to DOTs website with most major tires and brands and the ratings each have gotten... notice theres four RE 92s, all of which given different ratings....

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/UTQG/DOT UTQG Testing

DOT Quote for Traction:

"TRACTION - AA, A, B AND C:
The traction grades from highest to lowest are AA, A, B and C and they represent the tire's ability to stop on wet pavement as measured under controlled conditions on specified government test surfaces of asphalt and concrete. A tire marked C may have poor traction performance.

WARNING:
The traction grade assigned to this tire is based on braking
(straight ahead) traction tests and does not include
cornering (turning) traction."

As for looking for a good tire... arent we always? In the end no matter how fast you are whether it be road racing, street racing, drag racing or just getting jiggy with it on the way home..... the weak link will be the tires... well other than the tranny, well and the driver too...

I would also like to say.... I love my 451s... as North Ursalia said, its an amazing tire for the price...

def
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dug-e-fresh is offline   Reply With Quote