Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday April 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
adofly
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 107693
Vehicle:
2006 impreza Race
car 700hp

Default Heads Swap Avcs Question....

Can I convert my STI5 to AVCS?
What parts do I need?
Can the Sti8 heads bolt on to my 1999 engnine?
I have Motec M800 so no problem with tuning.
adofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:51 AM   #2
adofly
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 impreza Race
car 700hp

bump...I need answers.....
Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

yes, the ver8 heads can be swapped onto the ver5 engine...then you would just need to wire in the AVCS controls...
for stand alone aem can control it (but no one has parameters) and Hyrda can do it to, at least on a 02+ board...don't know about for a ver 5 board.
I'm not all to familiar with Motec...I do know they have auxillary controls...check and find out.

Regardless, ver8 heads will out flow the ver 5 heads. so even without avcs you are still getting an upgrade.

Last edited by Homemade WRX; 06-05-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
AZScoobie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 8785
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
02 c_turner@ix.
netcom.com

As he said the V8s will bolt up. The AEM has never controlled the AVCS cam system properly. Just file that one under the "wont work" file. The Hydra for the 02 cars can kinda control it but not really. They simply pulse the solenoids with an output. Which does move the cams. However. Nobody including the Hydra knows where the damn cams are positioned. Its blind solenoid pulsing. Better then nothing? Maybe. For AVCS to work probably it must be a closed loop system. THe system should read the extra two cam sensors to find the cams and then align them and pulse them according to a target map. This way they are inline left to right.

Clark
AZScoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
adofly
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 impreza Race
car 700hp

Taken form Motec website:
"Fully Variable Camshaft Timing - MoTeC is proud to be the industry leader in the aftermarket for controlling engines with fully variable camshafts. We have several special modes written to allow full control of up to 4 fully variable camshafts per engine such as the Dual Vanos BMW V8 using our M800/880 series of Engine Management Systems. Special Ref/Sync modes were written to allow the tuner to use the stock trigger wheels and sensors. Camshaft timing can be independently adjusted for each cam in 1/2 degree increments based on RPM and Load. With full adjustment of camshaft opening and closing points, the engine's volumetric efficiency curve can be stretched providing optimum cylinder filling over a much wider range of RPM, increasing the average horsepower and ultimately making the car faster."
Old 06-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
AZScoobie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 8785
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
02 c_turner@ix.
netcom.com

YEs. Certain motecs and Bosch Motorsport ecus will do the job properly. Many times both of those systems are far out of reach on the money tree.

CLark
AZScoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
adofly
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 impreza Race
car 700hp

I already have the M800 and for $400 I can buy the AVCS option.
The problem for me is to find all the neccesary parts since I will buy after market modified AVCS heads but I will need a plenty of other OEM part to make it work, solenoid, piping etc.

Or do you know what EXACTLY which OEM parts do I need???

Thanks..
Ado