Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-16-2002, 01:51 PM   #1
Drivingchallenge
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12979
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Blue

Thumbs down WRX 3200miles throwing CEL 4 Cylinder Mis

I have just rolled over 3200miles in my WRX. I got a CEL codes. Got out my code reader and got 4 codes. Cylinder 1-4 all giving misfire codes. I havn't run the car hard really, its had it oil change, and it happened on a dry day in the upper 50 degree range. Any thoughts are advice on this? The Dealer here has only one Subaru tech. ( Yeah one tech in the whole city) So I can't get it in for a while. What could I possibly do to fix this? I know the plugs are going to have to be checked, anything else I should check, or anything to look for? Thanks a lot.
Drivingchallenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 02:05 PM   #2
AndyHidley
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1031
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Blue

I had thoes codes also.. As it turned out the connector that plugs on to the coils falls off easy.. check them .. they are right on top of the spark plugs , 4 of them.
AndyHidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 02:10 PM   #3
jaxscuby
Sammo Hung

Member#: 10613
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 USDM WRX
WRB

Default mis fire

The same thing sort of happened to me.
I had codes p0301 and p0303, mis fire codes for injectors.
No reason just happened on a road trip..bummer..
I asked, grilled service manager, service technician, and they
said it was one of those "things", when a mechanical failure
occurs for no particular reason. Just a batch of injectors.

what were your codes again?
jaxscuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 02:31 PM   #4
Drivingchallenge
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Blue

My codes were:

So once I check all the plugs and wires, I should find my problem in there? I can't wait for the dealer to fix this.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:18 PM   #5
Jon [in CT]
*** Banned ***

Member#: 2992
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sedan
Silver

Since the ECU is reporting that all four cylinders have misfired, I think it's very unlikely that there are loose connections at all four sparkplugs.

It might help to understand how the ECU detects misfire. The general strategy is based on crankshaft rotational velocity (reference period) variations. The ECU determines crankshaft rotational velocity using the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor. When a cylinder misfires, the crankshaft slows down momentarily. By monitoring the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors’ signal, the ECU can calculate that a misfire has occurred and which cylinder was firing when it happened.

So, if I were a tech, the first thing I'd check is that the camshaft position sensor (on the driver's side) and the crankshaft position sensor (on the oil pump) are both still bolted down properly.

The general procedure for diagnosing misfires in the absence of any other trouble code is described in this thread: http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...threadid=36633.

Also, some ECUs have been reflashed because they misinterpretted the camshaft position sensor signal. Misfire codes might be a manifestation of this ECU problem.

Last edited by Jon [in CT]; 01-16-2002 at 05:23 PM.
Jon [in CT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 03:38 PM   #6
Drivingchallenge
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Blue

This might be totally wrong here but I still got to check. I don't think I had my gas cap on hard enough. That was in the morning like 8:30am. About 7:30pm I got the light, tighten cap then. Then I went home and ran code reader. You think it's related or two seperate things?
Old 01-16-2002, 03:42 PM   #7
AndyHidley
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1031
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Blue

Thoes codes are not related, and you didn't get one from the gas cap.. it would have also been in the list.... it appairently was tight enough.
AndyHidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 03:51 PM   #8
Drivingchallenge
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Blue

I am just trying to see what I can to keep it from going into the dealer. Like I posted before, there is only one tech in the whole city here. I would be carless for like a week they say.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:24 PM   #9
smash0r
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 9676
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STi
Crystal Gray Metallic

My car is sitting at the dealer right now with no brain. They had to send the ECU back to be reprogrammed because of a false misfire CEL.

This seems to be one of those situations where the number of causes for the error beg for a tech to check it out rather than self diagnosing
smash0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 05:17 PM   #10
Drivingchallenge
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Blue

Yeah. It just being that we have one tech in the whole city is what buggs me, which means say he gets sick, there is no one there to work on the cars. Too them two days to install gauges and shifter.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:50 AM   #11
Drivingchallenge
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Blue

Just got call from dealer. The ECU has a glitch and is getting shipped today to be reprogramed. Might not have car until after Monday.