Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
ZACKARU
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 117119
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2006 Limited WRX
Black on Black

Default Tuning with a Mac

Anybody know if the new '08 ibusiness spreadsheet software is fully compatible with excel spreadsheets (ie. visual basic like airboys spreadsheet) ? I would really like to get a mac, but I am trying to figure out how I would tune with it. The 7 year old HP is no longer cutting it. I don't exactly want to buy Windows XP to use via Leopard on the mac, but I am really considering it. Your thoughts.
ZACKARU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
williaty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71092
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACKARU View Post
Anybody know if the new '08 ibusiness spreadsheet software is fully compatible with excel spreadsheets (ie. visual basic like airboys spreadsheet) ? I would really like to get a mac, but I am trying to figure out how I would tune with it. The 7 year old HP is no longer cutting it. I don't exactly want to buy Windows XP to use via Leopard on the mac, but I am really considering it. Your thoughts.
I'm doing it right now. EcuFlash will work on a virgin computer, but it needs to be the only tuning/ECU communication software installed.

I'm using VMWare Fusion to run WinXP. Inside XP, I'm running EcuFlash and Enginuity to do the ROM editing and flashing. I end up needing the WinXP version of Excel to run a lot of the crazy spreadsheets people come up with. I do all my general log analysis (like all the graphs I keep posting) come from Excel on the Mac side.

Basically, at this point, you're going to need a windows install to tune. That being said, a MacBook (pro or not) is the best hardware I've ever used for running both OS X AND Windows.

Just get one and you won't regret it.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
ZACKARU
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Limited WRX
Black on Black

Thanks for the response. Where is the best place to get XP...?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
williaty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71092
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

If you go to a local computer superstore, you should be able to buy XP with a CPU and qualify as an "OEM" which gets you XP cheap. Then return the proc.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
ZACKARU
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Limited WRX
Black on Black

I didn't even think of that williaty, thanks. Yeah I have my 7 year old HP laptop that I could try and upgrade to XP for cheap, good call.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
ClutchItUp
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 150136
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2007 WRX Stage 2
and a couple motorcycles

I am running xp pro with VMware fusion on my macbook and it works great. If you don't want to buy VMware you can just run windows with boot camp. You can also get a cheap copy of windows from newegg.com.
ClutchItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:35 AM   #7
wetwilly1169
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 122990
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
JBP Wagon

Same here, i am running 10.4 and VMware with windows XP.

It took me a while to get it to work correctly simply because i needed to install the correct drivers so my Tactrix cable would show up as a COM port and not just a USB port.

Newegg is the best place to grab a cheap copy of windows XP.
wetwilly1169 is offline   Reply With Quote