Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
rsdawg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 251656
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5rs
silver

OMGHi2U Help! 2.5 rs electrical problem

just installed an aem short ram intake into my 2000 2.5rs, during installation i unhooked the negative battery terminal. when everything was all hooked up again i started my car and it worked fine. upon turning off the car the radio and gauge lights would click on and off about every two seconds! what happend and how do i fix this! i was thinking possible ecu reset!

btw key was out and this still happened

thanks in advance!
rsdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

When you disconnected and reconnected the battery the keyless/alarm system went into panic mode. There should be a reset button under the driver side dash, press it while the key is in the run position and that should fix it.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
rsdawg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 251656
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5rs
silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
When you disconnected and reconnected the battery the keyless/alarm system went into panic mode. There should be a reset button under the driver side dash, press it while the key is in the run position and that should fix it.

hey thanks it worked!
rsdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
The_PDE
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 254661

Is it possible that there is a similar alarm system on my 97 Legacy L? I had the battery disconnected for a trans swap and when we went to go test drive it yesterday it wouldn't start and several things stayed on after the key was out.

I don't have keyless entry but I'm wondering if there is some other kind of electrical magic I don't know about.
The_PDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_PDE View Post
Is it possible that there is a similar alarm system on my 97 Legacy L? I had the battery disconnected for a trans swap and when we went to go test drive it yesterday it wouldn't start and several things stayed on after the key was out.

I don't have keyless entry but I'm wondering if there is some other kind of electrical magic I don't know about.
Sounds like a different issue, especially if you don't have keyless entry. What things exactly are staying on?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
The_PDE
Scooby Newbie

The headlights stay on, the instrument cluster back lights stay on, the ABS light is on as well. Also, the turnsignals don't work.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
The_PDE
Scooby Newbie

Here's some more weirdness that I've noticed:

With the key in the ACC and ON positions, everything is mostly normal except that the car won't start. No clicking of the solenoid or even attempt at starting. Yes, the starter is plugged in, the hot terminal is tight and the blade connector is connected. I even checked to see if the battery was just dead by jumping it, no dice.

With the key in the LOCK position (i.e. off) weird **** starts to happen. The headlights stay on, all of the back lights on the dash are on, the wiper lever activates the cooling fan, and turning on the turn signals appears to activate the ABS (I'm assuming this is why the ABS light is coming on). It does this regardless of if the key is in the ignition or not.

Are there any ideas?

Much appreciated,
Paul
Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Any electrical mods or aftermarket equipment installed?
It's possible during the trans swap and reinstall that some wiring got damaged or pinched, I'd do a thorough visual inspection. It sounds like some circuits are being bridged or grounded that aren't supposed to be.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
The_PDE
Scooby Newbie

Aside a hitch that was done several years ago, the electrical is all stock. I think the only thing I had to man-handle was the engine wiring harness. It has the 3 plugs that are on a bracket that bolts to the engine block, the O2 sensors, speedo sensor and the reverse and neutral switches. Is that harness all engine stuff or is there something in there that could cause this?