Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
CarTuned
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 42203
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hanover, MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default 2011 WRX HiD intall w/pics

Ok, so I was asked how I did the install on my car and decided to make an install guide/how to for the 2011 WRX. I'm sure its the same as the previous years but wanted to post my own. Perhaps it will help others.

First off, I went with a company that I cannot recommend. However, in the three short days I have had the kit installed, I have not experience any issue. I chose a 5000K with 35watt slim ballast kit. The kit included only the ballast and bulb, which naturally have the wires connected to each.

First step, I removed the back covers of the low beam headlights and removed the factory H11 bulb itself.


Here are the tools I used to make the holes on the back.


I then took the backs and drew an one inch circle, with a pencil, in the middle which would serve as the openning for the HID kit gromet.



Next, I took a drill and proceeded to drill a sequence of holes along the inside of the drawn circle. I tried to make them as close as possible to ease the seperation of the center part from the rest of the backing.


Once all the holes were completed, I pushed the center out with the back end of the box cutter.
CarTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
CarTuned
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 42203
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hanover, MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default

Now comes the drimmel tool. With the attached grinder (see below) I smoothed out the hole plus made it a bit bigger so I could snake the HID bulb connection through it.



Here you see how the gromet fits in its place.





Repeat for the second backing.

Now, back to the car!
CarTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
CarTuned
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 42203
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hanover, MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default

Here is the HID ballast. Not sure what that second box is...perhaps a relay?


Alright, with the windshield washer funnel and stock intake scoop out of the way, I first installed the bulb and connected the two HId connections (blue & black) to the factory H11 bulb harness.



Next, I installed the backing. Forgot the pic

Ok, so now to mount the ballast. I chose to use a factory wire as my mount. You can see it running along the side of the low beam headlight, and flush to the headlight housing. I ran two large black zip ties under it in a criss-cross pattern. See below.


I then place the ballast over the wire and zipped them up.


Afterwards, I made all the connections and pinched the secret "box" using headlight housing wire and bracket. Worked perfectly.

CarTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
CarTuned
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 42203
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hanover, MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default

This is what it looks like with the washer funnel back in place. You can't even tell that is aftermarket! (Unless you're a Subaru enthusiast )


CarTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
hot-j
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 260982
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default

nice wrieup.
hot-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
stellswrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 260985
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Jennings, la
Vehicle:
2006 wrx
aspen white

Default

nice write up finished mine up on my 06 yest
stellswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Jaships
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 56924
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Arvada Co
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

OP why not recommend DDM??? I have had them installed for a few months now and have had other kits that didn't even come with dust covers or pack as nice....would like to hear why no recomendation
Jaships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
CarTuned
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 42203
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hanover, MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaships View Post
OP why not recommend DDM??? I have had them installed for a few months now and have had other kits that didn't even come with dust covers or pack as nice....would like to hear why no recomendation
Well, here's my tale:

I originally ordered my HID for my 07 WRX (H7 bulb) on a Wed and paid for two-day air shipping. Come Sat, and still no package. I finally get it on Monday morning, however, over the course of the weekend I trade my07 WRX for a 2011. So, I had to exchange the bulbs for the right ones. Tuesday morning, I send my H7 package back to DDm via two day air. They get it on Thursday (2 days). *Note, I paid just under $8 to ship it to them but they charge $13 for the same service?!)

Ok, so they get the package, which by the way included the return exchange number and which bulbs I actually needed, but they didn't ship anything out. Instead, they email me asking me to call them so they can collect shipping cost again! Well, I wrote them an email explaining why I shouldn't have to. They never responded.

So I finally call them on monday to pay $13 to have it shipped back via two day air, again. Friday morning, still no package so I call again. Turns out they never shipped it! At this point I'm pissed...and no mention of, "sorry...we'll cover the cost or throw in some free candy". So, they ship it out and I finally got it on Tuesday.

So, what should have taken less than 1.5 weeks, took three...oh, and about that packing. All that was included were two ballast and bulbs. No mounting hardware, instructions...or candy!
CarTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
dragosdor
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 275515
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston TX
Vehicle:
2011 WRX BilsteinSTI
stg2, KN panel, Perrin dp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarTuned View Post
Well, here's my tale:

I originally ordered my HID for my 07 WRX (H7 bulb) on a Wed and paid for two-day air shipping. Come Sat, and still no package. I finally get it on Monday morning, however, over the course of the weekend I trade my07 WRX for a 2011. So, I had to exchange the bulbs for the right ones. Tuesday morning, I send my H7 package back to DDm via two day air. They get it on Thursday (2 days). *Note, I paid just under $8 to ship it to them but they charge $13 for the same service?!)

Ok, so they get the package, which by the way included the return exchange number and which bulbs I actually needed, but they didn't ship anything out. Instead, they email me asking me to call them so they can collect shipping cost again! Well, I wrote them an email explaining why I shouldn't have to. They never responded.

So I finally call them on monday to pay $13 to have it shipped back via two day air, again. Friday morning, still no package so I call again. Turns out they never shipped it! At this point I'm pissed...and no mention of, "sorry...we'll cover the cost or throw in some free candy". So, they ship it out and I finally got it on Tuesday.

So, what should have taken less than 1.5 weeks, took three...oh, and about that packing. All that was included were two ballast and bulbs. No mounting hardware, instructions...or candy!
DDM sucks big time: product quality control and customer service are non existent! It took 3 weeks to get a relay harness. Plus the ballasts are garbage!
dragosdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
sniper913
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 164943
Join Date: Nov 2007
Default

Just so people installing the HID's on the 08-11, you don't need to drill the cover. I don't get why people keep on like to drilling the back cover to fit the HID's. If you guys take off the cover, feel out the inside of the light, u will know there are holes big enough to fit any wires through at the bottom, all wires can go through there instead. Just my 2 cents.
sniper913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
CarTuned
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 42203
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hanover, MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper913 View Post
Just so people installing the HID's on the 08-11, you don't need to drill the cover. I don't get why people keep on like to drilling the back cover to fit the HID's. If you guys take off the cover, feel out the inside of the light, u will know there are holes big enough to fit any wires through at the bottom, all wires can go through there instead. Just my 2 cents.
Thats good to know info but I did not know...Oh well, I won't lose any sleep on drilling the back covers.
CarTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
0BlueSTi4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 98955
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper913 View Post
Just so people installing the HID's on the 08-11, you don't need to drill the cover. I don't get why people keep on like to drilling the back cover to fit the HID's. If you guys take off the cover, feel out the inside of the light, u will know there are holes big enough to fit any wires through at the bottom, all wires can go through there instead. Just my 2 cents.
Hmm...I just spent a very long time looking inside and around the light but can't seem to find any holes big enough for wires. The only thing I could locate was the stock grommet at the bottom of the light but its wedged pretty good in there and I am not sure how you can run wires through it without ruining it. At this point I think the easiest thing might be to drill a hole but if there is a more elegant solution I would like to know what it is. Thanks in advance!
0BlueSTi4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
CarTuned
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 42203
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hanover, MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default

**UPDATE**

So, it's been nearly 1.5 years since I installed the DDM kit into MY11 WRX and well, they're still working! I haven't had a single glitch/flicker during the entire time, and yes, I'm surprised as well. Being that I only paid >$50 for the kit, I figured I would've need to replace something but I haven't had to, yet. Hopefully, this thread is still helping too!
CarTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
mor
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296960
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Irvine, CA
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Satin Pearl White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0BlueSTi4 View Post
Hmm...I just spent a very long time looking inside and around the light but can't seem to find any holes big enough for wires. The only thing I could locate was the stock grommet at the bottom of the light but its wedged pretty good in there and I am not sure how you can run wires through it without ruining it. At this point I think the easiest thing might be to drill a hole but if there is a more elegant solution I would like to know what it is. Thanks in advance!
I just installed my kit last night and the stock grommet is actually very easy to push through. All the wires of the kit fit through the stock hole very easily.
mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #15
WhatsASubie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 362544
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2013 Wrx
satin white pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper913 View Post
Just so people installing the HID's on the 08-11, you don't need to drill the cover. I don't get why people keep on like to drilling the back cover to fit the HID's. If you guys take off the cover, feel out the inside of the light, u will know there are holes big enough to fit any wires through at the bottom, all wires can go through there instead. Just my 2 cents.
Where do you route the wires too? anyone do this? pictures?
WhatsASubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:13 AM   #16
aerosaaber
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33850
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Pittsfield, MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
WRC Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsASubie View Post
Where do you route the wires too? anyone do this? pictures?
necromances a year+ old thread to ask the question that is ANSWERED in the quote he uses

Quote:
there are holes big enough to fit any wires through at the bottom, all wires can go through there instead. Just my 2 cents.
aerosaaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #17
WhatsASubie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 362544
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2013 Wrx
satin white pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosaaber View Post
necromances a year+ old thread to ask the question that is ANSWERED in the quote he uses



I dont know what he's talking about with the hole.. Where is it?
WhatsASubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #18
burke420
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 254983
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta,GA
Vehicle:
05 Impreza STI
Aspen Wht PG+K

Default

easy does it!
burke420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #19
subaru_steve
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 219426
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Williamsport, Pa
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX
WRB Stage II

Default

OP, besides all the customer service trouble with DDM Tuning, how is the product? I mean for $35 I would expect Radioshack parts, hand cut plastic components and already blown out bulbs. I hear horror stories of them melting components and otherwise just failing horrible....convince me otherwise.

**I have NO intention of installing these in my stock WRX headlights, if anything it would be a PROPER retrofit of an HID projector, please no bashing**
subaru_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #20
steverx05
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 128269
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
'12 Audi TT-RS
Suzuka Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_steve View Post
OP, besides all the customer service trouble with DDM Tuning, how is the product? I mean for $35 I would expect Radioshack parts, hand cut plastic components and already blown out bulbs. I hear horror stories of them melting components and otherwise just failing horrible....convince me otherwise.

**I have NO intention of installing these in my stock WRX headlights, if anything it would be a PROPER retrofit of an HID projector, please no bashing**
ALL ricer kits are garbage quality. You have the right idea about doing it correctly with a retrofit, but you wouldn't want to go cheap and put a crap ricer kit like this in it.
steverx05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:00 AM   #21
J.biz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191825
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Socal
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper913 View Post
Just so people installing the HID's on the 08-11, you don't need to drill the cover. I don't get why people keep on like to drilling the back cover to fit the HID's. If you guys take off the cover, feel out the inside of the light, u will know there are holes big enough to fit any wires through at the bottom, all wires can go through there instead. Just my 2 cents.
X2 on that! I just used the rubber gromit that the stock headlight wires come out of! No need for cutting or drilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_steve View Post
OP, besides all the customer service trouble with DDM Tuning, how is the product? I mean for $35 I would expect Radioshack parts, hand cut plastic components and already blown out bulbs. I hear horror stories of them melting components and otherwise just failing horrible....convince me otherwise.

**I have NO intention of installing these in my stock WRX headlights, if anything it would be a PROPER retrofit of an HID projector, please no bashing**
For the price of the HID kit it is not that bad! I have been running them for just about 2 years with not one problem!
J.biz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #22
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Have fun blinding the **** out of everyone else on the road.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:27 AM   #23
my name is joe
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 171412
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: SQC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
Have fun blinding the **** out of everyone else on the road.
i put HID's in my stock projector housing on my 06, and its not blinding at all. stock fogs with halogen from an 2.5RS blinds me more then the HID kit.
come to nyc and start to complain then because everyone on the road blinds you. retrofitting HID in stock projectors that are meant for halogen does not blind everyone on the road. get over it
if i were to hold up a 3 led flashlight to peoples faces it would blind them more than the 'glare' from my headlights
my name is joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:21 AM   #24
Byzantium
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 207826
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Katabatic
Vehicle:
85k 2002 WRX
Correct Fitment Crew #034

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is joe View Post
i put HID's in my stock projector housing on my 06, and its not blinding at all. stock fogs with halogen from an 2.5RS blinds me more then the HID kit.
come to nyc and start to complain then because everyone on the road blinds you. retrofitting HID in stock projectors that are meant for halogen does not blind everyone on the road. get over it
if i were to hold up a 3 led flashlight to peoples faces it would blind them more than the 'glare' from my headlights
Unfortunately you're wrong. Experience says otherwise.
Byzantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #25
Smoke
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 172486
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Cheney, WA
Vehicle:
95 V4 STi-RA swap
Stage 49.8

Default

^Well, that's not the worst HID cutoff I've seen. The light is more evenly projected, unlike in reflectors, it's just one blob of bright light in the middle with lots of glare on the sides, especially on top. It's still glare though as shown....

Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is joe View Post
i put HID's in my stock projector housing on my 06, and its not blinding at all. stock fogs with halogen from an 2.5RS blinds me more then the HID kit.
come to nyc and start to complain then because everyone on the road blinds you. retrofitting HID in stock projectors that are meant for halogen does not blind everyone on the road. get over it
if i were to hold up a 3 led flashlight to peoples faces it would blind them more than the 'glare' from my headlights
:facepalm:

Just because you put in plug and play HIDs in your stock headlights, doesn't make it retrofitting.

Do you know what retrofitting means? It means actually replacing the entire optic with take-off HID projectors.

I wish we had a comparo between HID and halogen projectors. Pictures speak words.
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 WRX Audio Wiring and Aftermarket DIY Help crosstip Car Audio, Video & Security 1 10-15-2010 04:11 PM
Chicagoland Peeps: 2011 WRX Sedan in our showroom!PICS ADDED! Evanston Subaru Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 17 08-10-2010 05:16 PM
Heck yeah! Found real 2011 WRX Sedan Pics and video! Omega79 News & Rumors 90 08-08-2010 10:50 AM
KLight HID Bixenon Kit Intall w/ Pics impreza_GC8 Electrical & Lighting 10 06-20-2007 03:51 PM
GReddy FMIC Intall manual pics TampaWRX Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 6 02-06-2003 08:05 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.