Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
slizanbro
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 158899
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2000 OBS swapped
two tone

Default EJ25 DOHC to EJ22 SOHC swap issues

I have a 98 legacy, pulled the shot 2.5, and got ahold of a 95 legacy 2.2 and ecm. engine harness included.
Problems:
The vacuum lines are questionable as far as routing. I have access to Alldata, and cannot find the correct layout of the 2.2 vacuum set up. I have two hard lines running under the passenger side of the intake manifold, right beside the power steering pump. Two lines running directly off the intake manifold on the passenger side off the nipples next to the throttle body.
Main issue:
The engine will not fire up with the 2.2 ecm in the car. it turns over, but wont start. Getting no spark or fuel with this ecm. With the 2.5 ecm in the car it fires right up. But wont idle. Seems as if its getting too much fuel.
I imagine it is getting too much fuel because the combustion chamber is larger on the 2.5 engine than the 2.2.

The engine revs strong and sounds healthy on the 2.5 ecm, just wont idle.

The entire harness has been gone through for both the 95 2.2, and the 98 2.5. The only issue I have with the 2.2 ecm is the ground for the MAF is in a different pin location than the 2.5. I would have to move this in order to check that off the list. I dont want to start tearing into the ecm harness if I don't have too. Everything else electrically is sound and matches perfect.

Please help
slizanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
slizanbro
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 OBS swapped
two tone

I am sure I am forgetting some things, but I think I covered it. I have been through countless conversion postings, and getting a lot of back and fourth answers.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

If memory serves, the ground pin is irrelevent because it still goes to ground.

The idle issue could be a few things. What year is the EJ22 from? Does it still have the external IACV like the EJ25 had? The 98 EJ22 had it, and can be swapped (manifold and all) onto it. I have a complete manifold that ran on a variety of 96-98 Impreza ECUs.

Jay
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
69subaru360
Scooby Guru

Member#: 159682
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
1998 2.5 RS

The 2 steel lines next to the ps pump are for the canister. The canister is in the back on a 98 so just connect them together. The 2 hoses go to the solenoids on the fender. Use the original ECU from the 98. It will run fine. Your IAC valve might be stuck if the used engine was sitting around for a while. Spray some carb cleaner in it, take the top apart off and work it back and forth.
69subaru360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
slizanbro
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 OBS swapped
two tone

ok. the vacuum issues are dealt with. got all that taken care of.
New Issue:
The entire intake manifold is filling with white smoke when I fire it up....... Doesn't smell like coolant or oil. Or electrical.

I will swap out the IAC along with the AAC, both are exactly the same on these engines. I will probably clean out the pcv valve while I am right there just to make sure its not clogged.
Really unsure of the smoking issue, by far my biggest worry at this point.

Here are a couple pictures of the silly green paint Nate did on the engine when it was reassembled.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
gloyale
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 134923
Vehicle:
1989 GL w/96 EJ22

95 ECU has a unique, one year only pinout. In 96, the connector stayted the same, but most of the pins moved.

Try a 96 2.2 ECU.

Honestly though, the 2.5 ECU should run it just fine. It's a MAF based system, so it should be able to measure the difference in volume 2.2 VS. 2.5.

I've done a few 2.2 into Outback swaps, and never changed ECUs. It does take some time running and driving for the ECU to "relearn" the fuel maps based on new MAF calculations.

The larger of the 2 lines under the intake is the Fuel Vent line. It goes to the large port on the charcoal can. The other line goes to the small port on the Canister. The other end of it goes into the EVAP solenoid, and then out to the port at the base of the throttle body. When the solenoid opens, gasses are pulled from the canister into that vac port.
gloyale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
TheLordChesterfield
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 234539
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
Blue

Sorry if I point out the obvious, but it must be the PCV valve from what you describe.

You said that you had vacuum issues?

What is the white smoke coming out of - how can you tell it is coming out of the intake manifold?
TheLordChesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
slizanbro
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 OBS swapped
two tone

ok.... slight update. The car is back together, running the 2.5 ecu and the IAC off the 2.5. Topping off all the fluids and attempting to let the car idle to fill the coolant, etc. Not happening unless I stand over it and keep it revved by hand. It seems to be a little better, than I was when first turned over, but not much. I haven't been brave enough to take it out on the road, due to the rough idling. Been through the grounds, plugs, sensors, and everything else I can think of. No CELs.