Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-27-2002, 12:43 PM   #1
Siper2
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (33)

Member#: 1134
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2007 BMW 328xi wagon
Silver

Thumbs up Stereo: Boston Acoustics Z6 speakers

Bonjour.

Well, yesterday I was bored so I decided to head to a local Ultimate Electronics (basically a western-US enemy of Tweeter, Etc.) to see if I could have a listen to the brand new Boston Acoustics Z6 speakers. I'd called ahead of time and found out that they did indeed get them in stock, and had them installed in one of their car stereo rooms.

With me I brought The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over, as the rendition of "Hotel California" on that CD seems to have gained wide recognition as a good SQ-tester (not to mention that it has some great bass). Funny that I loved it long before, but we won't get into that speech. There was no salesman in sight--which was good, actually--so I shut the door and figured out the wall system.

After finally locating the Z6's controls, and a new Alpine deck (played along with an Xtant X603 amp and Boston Acoustics 12" Pro subs (2)), I put the CD in, skipping to track 6.

Wow!!!

Talk.... about... impressive!!! These things--rightfully so, at $1,000/pair--absolutely SMOKE the Pro Series, even the three-way set. The sound was so brilliantly clear, I simply couldn't believe it. Of course, it's hard to get an idea of the exact sonic replication you'd get in a car, in that kind of room environment, but at least I could center myself to get an idea of the imaging.
Fantastic. Beautiful. Amazing!

I've got a pair of BA's old Rally Series speakers in my car, the RC61s. They're great speakers, and I love them to death, but the Z6 is on a whole other solar system of sound reproduction.
I will take points away from BA one one point, however--the use of metallic-dome tweeters in the Z-series (Z6 uses 6.5" woofers, Z5 uses 5.75"... there is no 3-way set).

I personally believe they should have gone with a soft-domed tweeter. Generally-speaking, the sound they produce is far smoother and more realistic, more lifelike. The Z6, though not as high-pitched and deafening as the Pro Series' tweeters, still managed to be a bit on the bright side. This wouldn't deter me from purchasing a set, but I'm much more of a fan of silk tweeters.
If Boston made the Z-series in an effort to go up against the likes of a/d/s and their 3-series speakers, or Dynaudio, I think they took a big hit by opting for metallic tweeters.

My subjectivity aside (many people prefer metallic tweeters, so...), there aren't many other speakers ANYWHERE that can even come CLOSE to this kind of sound quality.

If you live near a Boston dealer, go give these puppies a listen.
You're liable to stay there for hours.

-S2-

(Attached picture is from Boston's website.)

Last edited by Siper2; 07-27-2002 at 12:52 PM.
Siper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 01:10 AM   #2
Jeff02WRX
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 20150
Vehicle:
2006 VW GLI
Platinum Gray

Wink

The Z6 is an unbelievable speaker. A month after putting the Pro series in my car I got a sneak peak of these at Boston's factory in Peabody, MA and kicked myself for not waiting. They're my next audio upgrade without a doubt. They use the same Tweeter as their top of the line VRM-90 home speaker (which I own ), and they play an octave deeper then the Pros. They're definately a good value at $1000. Now match them up to one of the new Boston amps coming out and you'll have one sweet sounding system (as long as a good sub is in the mix).
Jeff02WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 03:16 PM   #3
Siper2
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2007 BMW 328xi wagon
Silver

Yes, I do know about the new amps. I've been speaking back and forth with a Boston employee about the Z6/5 and the new amps, he says they're absolutely astounding. My current favorite is Xtant's X603, which I used in my test at the store.... but I wouldn't doubt if B.A.'s new stuff blows it away.

(So long as it's still built in the USA. Along with the rest of BA's highline stuff.... They started outsourcing some of their cheaper stuff to Malaysia. )

Too bad about your purchase... eh... I guess. Not to pick on you of course. It's just unfortunate that the time frame was so close! Wow. See I was never that fond of the Pro series. Tweeters were too bright. In my mind, for a two-way set, the perfect match would've been an RC61's tweeter matched to a Pro woofer. I know a few people who did that, actually.

Yep I know that the Z's tweeter is shared with the VR-M90. Pretty cool.

-S2-
Old 08-02-2002, 02:55 AM   #4
Jeff02WRX
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 20150
Vehicle:
2006 VW GLI
Platinum Gray

The X-series Xtant amps are pretty awesome and will definately give the Boston amps a run for their money. The B.A. amps are actually made in Italy if I remember right and have been available in Europe for quite some time. B.A. had certain criteria to fill with the amps and found someone who could meet all them. They've never made any amps however they're one of the few speaker companies that makes all the components of the speaker themselves. I heard the new amps a couple months ago in a B.A. demo car and they're amazing. I work for a B.A. vendor (the "eastern enemy of Ultimate Electronics" I guess you could say...not to mention any names ) so I get the inside scoop direct from the source. And if you knew what I'd be paying for my Z6s you'd probably cry.
Jeff02WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 12:12 AM   #5
Siper2
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2007 BMW 328xi wagon
Silver

Nope, because I already know what you pay for them. I know quite a few guys who work for Twee-.....

Oops.

I tried to get a job there, at the Portsmouth, NH store (where I did all my installs and hangin' out), but alas, they didn't hire me.
The whole "well, you don't have any retail experience, so..." thing, I guess. Did an extensive phone interview and all, never got a call back, so I can only assume that much.

I hate when people don't even bother to call to reject a person.

But...
Old 08-22-2002, 11:37 AM   #6
m@stro
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (3)

Member#: 11441
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2002 austin, tx
fishy

i carry both boston & dynaudio (as well as Canton & image dynamics). head to head the new z6 makes the system240 sound like pure d ass. its ridiculous. im not a big fan of the titanium tweeter idea...but once you get them in a car...they're phenomenal.
m@stro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 09:22 PM   #7
Siper2
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2007 BMW 328xi wagon
Silver

Doesn't surprise me, I guess. I knew BA could whip butt if they really wanted too. But to whale on Dynaudio *that* hard?

That surprises even me, I guess. Don't get me wrong, I have absolute faith in BA, but.... dammit that's a big accomplishment.

I do wish they at least offered a soft-dome and/or three-way option, though. Maybe it'll come later on. Well, the latter might, the former probably won't. (Especially due to that tweeter's success in the VRM home speaker systems.)

-S2-