Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
camputer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 301929
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Ltd Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

Default Product suggestions

For the last 12 years I've driven little commuter vehicles I didn't care about, but my 2012 WRX arrives in the next two weeks. I excited obviously, but really want to take good care of it. But, I really haven't kept up on good brands and good products to use (the last time I kept good care of vehicles, I had never even heard of using clay!).

I'm hoping you can give me some suggestions for the products I should buy. I don't really want to experiment on my new car. You guys who know what you're doing, please give me some names that work well for you.

I don't want to go crazy expensive on this stuff, but am expecting to pay $200-300 bucks on this stuff. I need everything...from wash mits to soap, etc. But I will probably never have the guts to use a power tool to wax my own car, just so you know.

Thanks for any help you veterans can give me! I appreciate it!

Edit: one last thing...if you have a specific place that would be good for me to order everything from (detailers domain?) then that would be helpful too.
camputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
seuss78
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 313758
Chapter/Region: NESIC

not trying to avoid the question, but more important than the products you use is how you use them. for basic wash/dry, i think you're fine with just about any purpose made mitt, soap, etc. but how you use them is critical. short of running through the whole process, basic premise for cleaning/drying is to be as "clean" as you possibly can with the process. the more you move that dirt you're trying to get off around on the surface the more you're likely to introduce imperfections in the clear coat. get as much off as you can before you put hand to car and keep your mitt clean as you wash (and/or use multiple). and definitely use different mitts for your wheels, rockers, and body. i work with a mitt in one hand and a swap sprayer in the other so i can switch back and forth between plain water and water/soap mixture quickly both to wet the car and to wash the mitt. proper/prompt drying also critical.

for interior i'm a big fan of Turtle Wax Ice Total Interior Care. leaves the interior looking and smelling factory fresh without any kind of greasy feel.

for clay work, polishing (when needed), and waxing, I've had good luck with Griot's system. pretty monkey proof and the results have been great.

enjoy the new car.
seuss78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Unabomber
Big Ron

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Just go to your local big box retailer. Get a big fluffy microfiber wash mitt, nice Rubbermaid bucket (don't go for cheapy), a few cheapy nylon brushes for wheels, and a good stack of 12" squarish microfiber cloths for wiping and waxing. One large 3 x 3 waffle weave microfiber for drying.

Glass cleaner: Stoners Invisible Glass
Wax: Meguiars NXT
Claybar: Whatever is on sale
Vinyl dressing: 303 Protectant (amazon or eBay...sorry, but it is the best)
Leather: Lexol (same as above though easier to find at big box stores these days)
Wash: Dawn if giving it a full detail, whatever is on sale if not.

It's not rocket science. Buy and keep on hand products that are cheap and effective and use them frequently. All the above should run you UNDER 100 and do 95% of the tasks you are going to do. Only other advice is to ONLY wash MF cloths ALONE and don't dry. Hide from women in your life or they will wash them with other crap and use them and ruin them from being super dumb. Seriously....women F those things up in about 2 seconds as once they get all linty....its done.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
camputer
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Ltd Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

Thanks for the direction and suggestions guys. With a new car on the way I'm eager to get going, but nervous to use products I've never used before, and test them out on this car I've waited months to get. So it helps to know that people like yourself use something, and like it. I'll start with the products you've suggested and go from there.

Thanks again
Old 03-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

....the problem is that there are a myriad of products to choose from and just as many opinions as to which people will suggest. What may work for one scenario may not work for the next. A lot depends on what you're looking for in a product as well as various factors in your own situation.

Starting with some basic tools/products like Unabomber suggested might help but I would also do some searching on detailing-specific websites like Autopia.org, Detailingbliss, Autogeekonline.net, etc. so you will have a better idea from a broader pool of enthusiasts and professionals in the industry based on their experiences and recommendations.

I created the following thread about 3 years ago to help folks like you. Its an assortment of links of articles, forum threads and videos covering various detailing topics. Some of the links may be broken since I haven't updated this particular version in a while (there didn't seem to be much interest here on Nasioc as there has been on other forums I posted it on) but most of the meat is still there. I broken it down into sections covering common topics:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1877117
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
camputer
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Ltd Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

Will definitely check that out, thanks Kean.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Unabomber
Big Ron

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Holy crap Kean....one HELL of a post! I know what it takes to make a post like that so thanks for your efforts. I wash my car like once a year and my post above is by bi-yearly help in this forum.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
Holy crap Kean....one HELL of a post! I know what it takes to make a post like that so thanks for your efforts. I wash my car like once a year and my post above is by bi-yearly help in this forum.
Its no problem. I've been around the various detaiing forums for years and thought it might be useful to put together a collection of links I have run across and found helpful during that time. I've been meaning to update the one here on Nasioc but I guess I've just been lazy. . I just started updating another version on a different forum so I may be able to just copy and paste that.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote