Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday August 23, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
SZRimaging
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314053
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Marine Blue Pearl

Default Beginning to rethink my order....

So I have a blue 2012 Impreza Premium on order (with the winter package). I just test drove a 2012 Focus, and am beginning to question if the Impreza is the right choice.

The Impreza is AWD and has a higher ground clearance. Not sure on handling in the wet/less than desirable conditions, but on dry it didn't handle too much better than the Focus (having only done a test drive and not pushing them through the corners too hard). The Impreza also strikes me as a safer car.

The Focus has a nicer interior, between the engine and transmission it felt peppier/sportier, it's cheaper by a few grand, has nicer electronics, and much less noise in the cabin. I also think the seats were just a bit more comfortable. I should note, I drove a sedan without the sport package, and am looking at a hatch with the sport package.

Both have heated seats, so the point is moot. I do live on b-roads in Northern Michigan, so the AWD and ride height can make a difference. But for the payment difference, I should be able to afford to throw on some decent snow tires and steel wheels for the winter on the Focus.

So basically, sell me on why I should be keeping the Subaru I have on order instead of switching (at no penalty to me) to the Focus.
SZRimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
CGNY
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316500
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

I am in the same situation as you (sort of- I haven't questioned by purchase). I am waiting for a 2012 Impreza to be delievered. I had considered the Focus. My reason for the subie over the focus is, the Impreza is made by Subaru/ the Focus is made by Ford. Based on mutiple reviews and "expert opinions" Ford has always rated low on reliability and resale value.

Also IMO the front end of the Focus is pretty terrible looking. Trying to hard to look new and futuristic LOL

Ultimately the decision is yours, if you like the focus more no one here is gonna talk you into a subaru. Its gonna be your car, get the one you want.
CGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
SZRimaging
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314053
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Well, resale value is low on my list, as I plan to hold it, barring mechanical issues, for a long time.

As for Ford quality, my parents have owned three, and never an issue other than routine wear. My brother has a Saabaru, and he only had an issue due to low oil in his engine (not Subaru's fault). So on the reliability front, I'm not sure I have an opinion on who is really better than who. Part of Subaru's excellent ratings may be because of who buys them (also why some luxury brands may be so low). Or I could be over thinking the whole thing....
SZRimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
SZRimaging
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314053
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

I should add that I am in an honest stale mate between the two. Really, the stereo is the biggest turn off on the Impreza, but I don't want to do an aftermarket unit/speakers. Cabin noise is the second issue. Otherwise, I would probably still be sold on getting the Subaru.

Does anyone know how well the Kicker upgrades work? If just adding a $250 option drastically improves the response, then it may not be so bad.
SZRimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRimaging View Post
I should add that I am in an honest stale mate between the two. Really, the stereo is the biggest turn off on the Impreza, but I don't want to do an aftermarket unit/speakers. Cabin noise is the second issue. Otherwise, I would probably still be sold on getting the Subaru.

Does anyone know how well the Kicker upgrades work? If just adding a $250 option drastically improves the response, then it may not be so bad.
I picked up the Kicker tweeter upgrade and swapped out the factory OEM ones and I noticed a difference for the highs. The difference would be more profound definitely if you're going from no tweeters to Kicker tweeters.

From what I heard the Kicker upgrades are decent but no where near the sound you can get out of aftermarket parts likewise. But installation is going to be much easier, pop off the speaker grilles, unscrew old speakers, screw in new speakers, pop the grille back on, and you're done. I'm looking to pick up the speaker upgrade at a later time. Hope this helps.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
SZRimaging
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314053
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL View Post
I picked up the Kicker tweeter upgrade and swapped out the factory OEM ones and I noticed a difference for the highs. The difference would be more profound definitely if you're going from no tweeters to Kicker tweeters.

From what I heard the Kicker upgrades are decent but no where near the sound you can get out of aftermarket parts likewise. But installation is going to be much easier, pop off the speaker grilles, unscrew old speakers, screw in new speakers, pop the grille back on, and you're done. I'm looking to pick up the speaker upgrade at a later time. Hope this helps.
That does help. Which factory headunit do you have?
SZRimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRimaging View Post
That does help. Which factory headunit do you have?
I'm in Canada, so the head units are different than the ones in the US based on trim levels. This is the one I have.

pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
Xafen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306398
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Premium
Camellia Red

Default

You can get much higher quality speakers, for less, just by going into somewhere like best buy. A car audio place will be even better. Doing it yourself would be very cheap, and you could get exactly what you want.

Basically, if you don't want AWD, I would say go for the focus. I absolutely hated its driving dynamics, but that's just me.

Really, I can't complain about the cabin noise, I don't think it's at all bad in the Impreza. Last week I took a trip to Minneapolis from Omaha, and the whole ~1000 mile trip was quite enjoyable except for the horrible interstate from Omaha to Des Moines. One 4 hour leg, without stop, was acceptably quiet, though I sort of miss the ride of my old "grandma car" Buick.

I forget if the Focus has any steering auto-correct for wind. That was one thing I noticed driving into a 40 mph diagonal wind; though any car without auto-correct steering will be a bit of a bear driving 70 mph into a 40 mph diagonal wind.

I don't think you can really say ford is unreliable anymore, it's just Subaru is SO reliable, it's hard to say something else would be better.

Again, if you can live without AWD, then I would say the Focus is for you. If you want AWD, the Subaru. The other issues you talk about seem minor?
Xafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
SZRimaging
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314053
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xafen View Post
You can get much higher quality speakers, for less, just by going into somewhere like best buy. A car audio place will be even better. Doing it yourself would be very cheap, and you could get exactly what you want.

Basically, if you don't want AWD, I would say go for the focus. I absolutely hated its driving dynamics, but that's just me.

Really, I can't complain about the cabin noise, I don't think it's at all bad in the Impreza. Last week I took a trip to Minneapolis from Omaha, and the whole ~1000 mile trip was quite enjoyable except for the horrible interstate from Omaha to Des Moines. One 4 hour leg, without stop, was acceptably quiet, though I sort of miss the ride of my old "grandma car" Buick.

I forget if the Focus has any steering auto-correct for wind. That was one thing I noticed driving into a 40 mph diagonal wind; though any car without auto-correct steering will be a bit of a bear driving 70 mph into a 40 mph diagonal wind.

I don't think you can really say ford is unreliable anymore, it's just Subaru is SO reliable, it's hard to say something else would be better.

Again, if you can live without AWD, then I would say the Focus is for you. If you want AWD, the Subaru. The other issues you talk about seem minor?
Well, on my old Maxima, I did the audio work myself, no issues. On the Rav4, a shop did, no issues. On my Saab 9-7x, I have had nothing but issues since having an aftermarket headunit installed by a shop. The same shop did my brother's Saabaru without issue (except a Focal speaker blew out, I think, but that was a warranty repair).

But, since the issues with the 9-7x, I'm a little weary of doing any changes. Could just be that ONStar wiring that screwed things up, but still a little hesitant to replace a headunit on these newer vehicles.

The AWD is probably the number one reason why I'm not just switching over to the Focus. FWD + snows = pretty good, AWD + snows = frickin' awesome!
SZRimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
SZRimaging
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314053
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Damn you Canadians! You also get the nicer displays on your consoles. I really don't get why the US got so screwed on this compared to everyone else.
SZRimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRimaging View Post
Damn you Canadians! You also get the nicer displays on your consoles. I really don't get why the US got so screwed on this compared to everyone else.
Damn you Americans! But its not fair how your MSRP is cheaper by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkbert View Post
canadian limited also gets the turning signal on side mirrors, and heated mirror is standard on all trims.
I think the wiper deicer also comes standard? The lower part of the windshield has a heating element under the glass to warm and defrost the area where the wipers sit. It unsticks the front wipers.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
SZRimaging
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314053
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL View Post
I think the wiper deicer also comes standard? The lower part of the windshield has a heating element under the glass to warm and defrost the area where the wipers sit. It unsticks the front wipers.
Now there is a feature I would love. Never have heard of any car with that, but something I never understood why it wasn't there.
SZRimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
CGNY
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316500
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRimaging View Post
Now there is a feature I would love. Never have heard of any car with that, but something I never understood why it wasn't there.
comes with the impreza all-weather package, along with heated mirrors & seats
CGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
SZRimaging
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314053
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGNY View Post
comes with the impreza all-weather package, along with heated mirrors & seats
Wait, it does?! I think I need to go look at that package again...
SZRimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGNY View Post
comes with the impreza all-weather package, along with heated mirrors & seats
Yeah mine has all three heated options but here in Canada, there are only four trims with no packages or options like you Americans.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #16
f1speeder
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138854
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hanover PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default

I love knowing if it snows, my AWD Subie will get me home. That's only if it doesn't get to deep. You still might be okay with a good set of winter tires on the Ford just not sure since I never drove a Focus in the winter.

As a side note: The 2012 Impreza is getting a lot better gas mileage then before! The Focus get's a little bit more because it's not AWD.

The Good: Plenty of leg room and trunk space for the Impreza Sdn.

The Bad:
The stereo sucks in all the Impreza's not mater what model or options.

For me I would stick with Subaru since I've been buying them new since
2003 and overall love the car and the resale of them.

In the end it's going to be a tough decision for you because both cars has their good points and bad points. I think the main issue is the AWD or FWD. What are your roads like in the winter and how comfortable are you driving in bad conditions? You should be much more relaxed with an AWD car in the snow/rain then with a FWD or RWD car.
f1speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

It was between the focus and Impreza for me. After driving the focus and sitting in the back the impreza was much more my style and spacious. I thought the impreza rode better. The design of the engine led me to be a big fan of subaru

Also i have a family member that works at Ford (passed up employee pricing on a focus) and there is already a problem with the transmission seals leaking. A service bulletin has been issued. With that being said the reliability rating for the ford isnt as high as the subaru.

Mine was bought as a commuter car to enjoy for years and years. I think i got that. For all its sortcomings Stereo, Interior noise, and having to wait for the vehicle i dont think its anything that was a deal breaker for me.

But this is your decision so think about it a little an maybe drive them again and then make a choice.

Last edited by auskip07; 04-23-2012 at 02:34 PM.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
dorkbert
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309901
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i 5D
Black

Default

canadian limited also gets the turning signal on side mirrors, and heated mirror is standard on all trims.
dorkbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
Xafen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306398
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Premium
Camellia Red

Default

If it matters at all, I sold Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazdas for a while before I took my current job. I passed up the employee discount for the Subaru.

For me it was between the Mazda3, Ford Focus, and Subaru Impreza. I absolutely couldn't stand driving the Focus any time I had to take one between dealers. The dynamics were just terrible. I had reservations about the interior fit and finish on the Mazda.

The Subaru may be a bit spartan, but that's exactly why I like it. There's nothing fancy on it, but it is very well put together, and overall looks great.

Going back, I would probably consider the Mazda3 a bit more carefully, but a lot of that I think is this past winter was so mild I didn't even bother to put on snow tires. We had almost 3 snow events, 2 inches here, 3 there, 6 one time (oh no!).

I did consider the worth of AWD for snow, but in the end it didn't come down to it's use in snow for me, but how valuable it is in wet conditions.

A minus for the Focus is the 40mpg is ONLY on the SFE package, only available on a sedan. I hit 40.2 mpg on my Minneapolis trip, and even though I get mid 20s in the city now that it's warmer, I'm still quite happy.

Those are just a few more random thoughts. If you want AWD, it's really an easy choice. The issues you mention with the Subaru seem minor, and for the most part, you can remedy them.
Xafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #20
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xafen View Post
Those are just a few more random thoughts. If you want AWD, it's really an easy choice. The issues you mention with the Subaru seem minor, and for the most part, you can remedy them.
How would you remedy the interior noise of the 2012 Impreza, especially during hard acceleration? That was what probably turned me off more than anything during a test drive. By the way, I test drove and would buy with the manual tranny.

Does the noise improve as the engine/tranny breaks in? Does premium fuel quiet things down any?
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #21
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
How would you remedy the interior noise of the 2012 Impreza, especially during hard acceleration? That was what probably turned me off more than anything during a test drive. By the way, I test drove and would buy with the manual tranny.

Does the noise improve as the engine/tranny breaks in? Does premium fuel quiet things down any?
I dont believe the noise improves but your ability to become acclimated to it. I was actually in favor of more noise because with a 5 speed before i got the feel of car i had to rely on the noise for shift (or use the tach as a reference) premium fuel wont change anything
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #22
John451
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321966
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydneys South, Australia
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza + XV 14
Black Pearl + White XV

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
How would you remedy the interior noise of the 2012 Impreza, especially during hard acceleration?
Have found rubber backed floor mats has helped and additionally to the passenger sides front firewall area only have also cut a shaped piece from a roll of Automotive foam rubber sheeting I bought to line an protect the hatchs trunk area.
John451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:37 AM   #23
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John451 View Post
Have found rubber backed floor mats has helped and additionally to the passenger sides front firewall area only have also cut a shaped piece from a roll of Automotive foam rubber sheeting I bought to line an protect the hatchs trunk area.
Interesting. I'd like to see a picture of that firewall installation.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:14 AM   #24
John451
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321966
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydneys South, Australia
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza + XV 14
Black Pearl + White XV

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Interesting. I'd like to see a picture of that firewall installation.
Not at all interesting as I just cut up some Automotive foam rubber boot liner and placed inside the car underneath the passengers side front floor mats raised section up to the dash, helps the passenger a little but not driver.

Have been looking at some better alternatives and best seems to be RAAMmat, anyone here worked with this product ?



Linky:
http://raamaudio.co.uk/products/raammat-bxt-ii/

Last edited by John451; 06-12-2012 at 04:21 AM.
John451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
SZRimaging
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314053
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Does the Impreza have skid plates stock?

As for wind noise, is it a design issue, or is it something a bit of dynomat can fix?

I should add, my fiance has a Trailblazer, equipped with Blizzaks, so deep/bad snow will belong to the Trailblazer once we are married (next summer).

And the amount it snows is never the issue, it's the 2 foot drifts that form over the roads that is a problem. I used to bust through them with my Golf, but it was a little scary as some of them were up to the beginning of the hood. The last two winters haven't been as bad as years past though.
SZRimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rethinking my suspension...Your thoughts please. Wrx KidD Brakes, Steering & Suspension 15 12-14-2009 01:35 PM
I'm beginning to hate my wrx - Lemon Law? ronan1975 Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 15 06-25-2005 01:57 AM
I'm beginning to hate my wrx - Lemon Law? ronan1975 Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 15 06-24-2005 08:15 PM
Begining to enjoy my car's new look.... RollingOnAll4 South East Region Forum 23 12-15-2004 03:57 PM
Possibly rethinking my career goals, would like some input edubb11 Off-Topic 16 07-07-2004 11:00 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.