Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Angry Now its my oil light!!! 2012 impreza

Already had many little issues with this brand new car. Yesterday I was driving around town and my oil check light came on. I pulled over and called the dealer, soa, and subaru roadside. None of them would answer a single question. The dealer said I could have it towed there but they have no loaners. So I started it back up and after about a minute the light went off. Oil level is at full. This morning on the way to work the light comes on again? Starting to think I got me a LEMON!!!!!!!!
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
ammo_umb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316152
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Clearfield UT
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Camellia

Default

Sounds like you need to get the car checked for gremlins, hire an exorcist, or run a geiger counter through the car!
ammo_umb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
strychnine
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 316108
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammo_umb View Post
Sounds like you need to get the car checked for gremlins, hire an exorcist, or run a geiger counter through the car!
strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

the oil light measures oil pressure, not oil level. The two only sometimes correspond, so you can have a low pressure situation with plenty of oil in the sump.

Are you going to bring it in to make sure it is just a faulty sender, or to dx the issue?
Zeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
Already had many little issues with this brand new car. Yesterday I was driving around town and my oil check light came on. I pulled over and called the dealer, soa, and subaru roadside. None of them would answer a single question. The dealer said I could have it towed there but they have no loaners. So I started it back up and after about a minute the light went off. Oil level is at full. This morning on the way to work the light comes on again? Starting to think I got me a LEMON!!!!!!!!
im starting to think their are a batch of bad harnesses.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Have a Nice Day?

I took it in to the dealer after work and they said my car was 3/4 quart low. I asked why I was only getting low indicator lights while in stop and go traffic, not cornering or accelerating hard. They actually said that florida counts as "severe driving" even though the owners manual and soa say otherwise. The dealer is getting my new replacement seatback in thursday, so they're going to change the oil and do an oil consumption analysis.
I was pretty livid. I said "its not a 75 vega and it shouldn't consume oil like one". I personally think its a sensor but the oil level was about a quarter inch below the last time I checked but still well above the low line. I'd say a qaurter inch below the full mark.
Last time they changed my oil they way over-filled it and I actually had to take it back and have them drain a quart out.
Accorfing to the manual and soa a quart of oil consumption per 1200 miles is normal during break in, but there shouldn't be any oil consumption after break in except "extreme conditions". Which I clearly do not subject the car to.
According to the dealer service mgr I'm supposed to check the dipstick every time I gas up. The manual suggests every other fill up. And my dealer seems to think that I'm supposed to top off my oil. Ummmm isn't this 2012 or am I in a time warp and its 1975?
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
I took it in to the dealer after work and they said my car was 3/4 quart low. I asked why I was only getting low indicator lights while in stop and go traffic, not cornering or accelerating hard. They actually said that florida counts as "severe driving" even though the owners manual and soa say otherwise. The dealer is getting my new replacement seatback in thursday, so they're going to change the oil and do an oil consumption analysis.
I was pretty livid. I said "its not a 75 vega and it shouldn't consume oil like one". I personally think its a sensor but the oil level was about a quarter inch below the last time I checked but still well above the low line. I'd say a qaurter inch below the full mark.
Last time they changed my oil they way over-filled it and I actually had to take it back and have them drain a quart out.
ah, i found the answer to my question. i am really curious to see what comes of their test. i find it very puzzling that they can say you are 3/4 qt low without draining the pan. unless they somehow have insider info that being 1/4" below the high fill line is 3/4 qt low (that's not consistent with the manual)

i'm with you, it's a sensor or pressure issue.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
UtSTi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320784
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Price Utah
Vehicle:
2012 STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
ah, i found the answer to my question. i am really curious to see what comes of their test. i find it very puzzling that they can say you are 3/4 qt low without draining the pan. unless they somehow have insider info that being 1/4" below the high fill line is 3/4 qt low (that's not consistent with the manual)

i'm with you, it's a sensor or pressure issue.
This is a whole lot easier to accomplish than you think. I've been a service tech for over four years now and I can tell you about how low your car is just by looking at the dipstick. Its not a hard concept for some, when your doing that a few times a day every day you get good at eyeballing. So I dont think they would have to drain it just to know how low it was....
UtSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtSTi

This is a whole lot easier to accomplish than you think. I've been a service tech for over four years now and I can tell you about how low your car is just by looking at the dipstick. Its not a hard concept for some, when your doing that a few times a day every day you get good at eyeballing. So I dont think they would have to drain it just to know how low it was....
But supposedly according to the manual there is one qt between the dots. From what 79 described he was nowhere near being 3/4 qt low.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

The dealer and soa both agreed that an oil consumption test was in order. I drop the car off saturday for a new seatback, rear hatch latch adjustment, and the oil consumption test. They said it consisted of draining the oil and measuring how much is in there, then filling it precisely with the amount the factory calls for, me driving the car for X miles and then drainiong it and seeing how much less oil there is than 5.3 quarts. At least that's what soa said.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
Blktrax
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 220971
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Havelock, NC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 209K Mi.
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
The dealer and soa both agreed that an oil consumption test was in order. I drop the car off saturday for a new seatback, rear hatch latch adjustment, and the oil consumption test. They said it consisted of draining the oil and measuring how much is in there, then filling it precisely with the amount the factory calls for, me driving the car for X miles and then drainiong it and seeing how much less oil there is than 5.3 quarts. At least that's what soa said.
The consumption test doesn't make much sense the way it was explained to you. Drain-back cannot be calculated that way, or at least not that accurately.

The way I do consumption tests:
1.Fill to approx 1/2 quart short of spec (Start&Run for 15 sec or so)
2.Verify Oil level in "safe" zone.
3.Test drive to operating temp.
4.Park on a known level spot - in the shop on a flat bay, NOT on a lift.
5.Time: 10min of drain back, dipstick out.
6.Check level, top off to exactly full dot.
7.Subaru spec is 1qt every 1200 miles, return to customer, have them return in nearest to 1200 miles.
8. Verify operating temp, park in same flat bay, wait 10min, dipstick out, verify oil level, note loss, if any. One Qt. to add/low dot, if not below within acceptable limits.

This way the oil viscosity is at the same temp, ambient temp does not affect it. The time is precise to allow the same amount of oil to flow back into the pan.

Also note: JAMMING the oil dipstick back in will give poor results, I've seen people check their oil like they're throwing a Javelin. Those O-rings seal so shoving it in quickly causes the oil to wave at the end of the dipstick tube giving inaccurate readings.


On a personal note, my wife's '12 Impreza was about 1/8" over the full dot from the factory fill doing the same as above. I account that to fluid expansion as with the old EJ motors that have a Full DOT and the Full HOT Notch.

At 1000 Miles I changed the oil and filter and precisely filled as described above hot. Cold it will read about 1/16" under the full dot. Consider however Full is Full, Over Full means if it was in a sealed container it wouldn't fit. It has to go somewhere, usually burnt off in the PCV or adding drag on the crankshaft diminishing mileage. I prefer to be as close as I can get to full but as long as it stays in the operating "Safe" zone. Its operating normally.

Another issue I've seen is the incorrect oil being used, this engine requires 0w20syn, the wrong weight will cause issues of oil not getting back to the pan fast enough. If you're that skeptical of your dealers work, I would ask to see the empty 0w20 bottles, I highly doubt they have 0w20 Synthetic in bulk tanks yet.


Here's the copy paste from the SM:

Engine Oil
A: INSPECTION
CAUTION:
If the engine oil is spilt over exhaust pipe or the under cover, wipe it off with cloth to avoid emitting
smoke or causing a fire.
1) Park the vehicle on a level surface.
2) Remove the oil level gauge and wipe away the oil.
3) Reinsert the oil level gauge all the way. Be sure that the oil level gauge is correctly inserted and properly
orientated.
4) Pull out the oil level gauge again, check the both sides of the oil level gauge, and judge by using the lower
side engine oil level. If the engine oil level is below L line, check for oil leakage from engine and add oil to
bring the level up to F line.
5) Start the engine to circulate the oil in engine room.
6) After turning off the engine, wait a few minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan before checking the level.
NOTE:
To prevent overfilling of engine oil, do not add oil above F line when the engine is cold.
As the oil level gauge is used for daily maintenance, F line and L line is set assuming that the engine
is cold.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

I did let SOA know that if I'd known that I was going to be buying an oil-consuming (at $10/qt) rattling seat squeaking ride, I would have saved a ton of money and bought a KIA. I told them that I bought the Sube based on its brand reputation for quality cars that last and retain value. I really don't see this '12 lasting the way the older subes did. My granny's GL wagon went 400k. It ratled and squeaked but she only paid $900 for it.
Seriously though- do any of you ofther 2012 impreza owners have any oil issues???
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
sportyimpreza
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349919
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
gun metal grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
I did let SOA know that if I'd known that I was going to be buying an oil-consuming (at $10/qt) rattling seat squeaking ride, I would have saved a ton of money and bought a KIA. I told them that I bought the Sube based on its brand reputation for quality cars that last and retain value. I really don't see this '12 lasting the way the older subes did. My granny's GL wagon went 400k. It ratled and squeaked but she only paid $900 for it.
Seriously though- do any of you ofther 2012 impreza owners have any oil issues???
Hi 79letour, I'm brand-new here..and a brand-new Subaru 'convert' let's say. I'm following your post as it's just like what I'm going through, however, I have not been to the dealer yet. I'm in Canada - Ontario (north of Toronto) and I do mainly highway driving, no major accelaration etc...and when I read your commentary, this is what the dealer said to me from the Maple dealership. In fact, my light comes on only when I am driving then it resets itself. The service mgr said to top it up! and well, I've had to do a bit from time to time, but it's a new vehicle I picked it up in December 2012! light came on as i was driving. Anyway, I curious too..I think it could be a bad sensor.
sportyimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
gregorz4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyimpreza View Post
Hi 79letour, I'm brand-new here..and a brand-new Subaru 'convert' let's say. I'm following your post as it's just like what I'm going through, however, I have not been to the dealer yet. I'm in Canada - Ontario (north of Toronto) and I do mainly highway driving, no major accelaration etc...and when I read your commentary, this is what the dealer said to me from the Maple dealership. In fact, my light comes on only when I am driving then it resets itself. The service mgr said to top it up! and well, I've had to do a bit from time to time, but it's a new vehicle I picked it up in December 2012! light came on as i was driving. Anyway, I curious too..I think it could be a bad sensor.
Hey Im from the Toronto Area as well...South of it anyway...Ive had an oil consumption problem from the start...got a new engine...problem has returned.
I never top up my oil...every time the light comes on I make sure to go to Subaru so they add the oil in themselves so they can document it. I guess I got a new short block because my 12 impreza was burning over a liter of oil with just 900-1000km of driving. They say it could be a faulty oil monitoring sensor but if it is...then why the F don\t they just change it to one that isn't faulty?
Well hopefully if this is going to be a reoccurring problem...again...I hope they give me another hopefully new short block.
gregorz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #15
knah
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 389597
Join Date: May 2014
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Hatchba
white

Default My 2012 Impreza oil light is on too

The first time it happened I was traveling on a day trip about 150 miles from home and it was about 6,000 miles since the 7,500 mile change. I found a Subaru dealer (luckily it was open on a Saturday) and they put in not quite a full quart.

Now it happened again yesterday - again 75 to 100 miles from home and it has only been 3,800 miles since my 15,000 mile change.

This is my third and probably last Subaru. The previous two had oil leakage issues around 80,000 miles. This time I have been taking it to a Subaru dealer and doing everything according to the maintenance book but have never in over 40 years of owning a car had the oil light come on until I bought the 2012 Impreza.
knah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

how many miles on your oil?
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #17
somebody else
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21618
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: southern California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
how many miles on your oil?
Just stop it!
somebody else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #18
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody else View Post
Just stop it!
What is your problem. Its a completely relevent question. If he is missing 3/4 quart of oil at 7k miles compared to 1k then its totally different

Why dont you add something valuable to the discussion. Have any ideas?
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
2012ruimpreza
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316776
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Western North Carolina
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza hatch
Silver

Default

No issues here
2012ruimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
IMPREZA 2012
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318422
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Montreal Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
White

Default

Me too no problem with my oil level at 5000km.
IMPREZA 2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #21
subiTWO
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 273054
Join Date: Feb 2011
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT HB

Default

Oil consumption is one area where proper break-in of the rings is paramount. Doing that *requires* high combustion pressures, provided by short periods of full or near-full throttle...
subiTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #22
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiTWO View Post
Oil consumption is one area where proper break-in of the rings is paramount. Doing that *requires* high combustion pressures, provided by short periods of full or near-full throttle...
how long after driving it off the lot do you do that?
i know for piston airplanes it is 2 hours of 75% power
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #23
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Car has about 7300 miles on it. The oil has about 3500 on it. Almost a quart of consaumption. I followed break in procedures properly and I very rarely drive faster than 60mph. I check the oil every saturday or when I wash the car and the level has never changed. This has only happened in the last thousand miles.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #24
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
Car has about 7300 miles on it. The oil has about 3500 on it. Almost a quart of consaumption. I followed break in procedures properly and I very rarely drive faster than 60mph. I check the oil every saturday or when I wash the car and the level has never changed. This has only happened in the last thousand miles.

Maybe you should get out and get it up to 5k revs when the engine is to temp to see if that helps the issue.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #25
hemophilic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301213
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Imp. Sp. Ltd.
Blue/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour
I did let SOA know that if I'd known that I was going to be buying an oil-consuming (at $10/qt) rattling seat squeaking ride, I would have saved a ton of money and bought a KIA. I told them that I bought the Sube based on its brand reputation for quality cars that last and retain value. I really don't see this '12 lasting the way the older subes did. My granny's GL wagon went 400k. It ratled and squeaked but she only paid $900 for it.
Seriously though- do any of you ofther 2012 impreza owners have any oil issues???
I have/had the issue at 75mph+ cruise. Happened several times on two different trips to the beach. 70mph doesn't cause a light but 10 minutes of 75 will. Pull over immediately only to find a topped off dipstick.
I went in for the 3k oil change, ecm and tcm TSBs, and the oil light. Dealer found nothing wrong with oil, said ecu was up to date, and couldn't reproduce the engine braking issue.
My car was built 11/11. Haven't had a chance to find out if 75mph+ is still a problem.
hemophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any DIY independent fog lights write ups yet for 2012 impreza sports? JDMSTA Electrical & Lighting 59 07-21-2013 08:04 AM
2012 Impreza 2.0i Mobil1 oil filter model # jr0bb5 Service & Maintenance 27 01-04-2013 05:18 PM
('11+) OC interval and the first oil change on 2012 Impreza 2.0 Oceanguy Impreza Forum 80 11-18-2012 12:56 PM
My Oil Light is Flickering and I have No Leak??? kakarotoni Newbies & FAQs 39 08-16-2012 10:36 AM
('11+) 2012 Impreza High beams = Low beams lighting Jmzda Impreza Forum 28 06-01-2012 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.