Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday November 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
A W
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265433
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default You're a horrible driver but you won't admit it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/08/n...vers-than-men/

Quote:
Now there's proof that women are the superior drivers.

A new study released recently by Carrentals UK, suggest that women are superior drivers after interviewing more than 700 people.

"While men would like to believe they are better than women behind the steering wheel, it is clear to see that male drivers performed worse in terms of speeding fines and penalty points," said Gareth Robinson, Managing Director of Carrentals UK.

Indeed. Survey results included:
  • 57 percent of men had been involved in one or more accidents compared to 44 percent of women
  • 45 percent of 36- to 45-year-old and men over 65 years old had been caught speeding
  • 60 percent of men over 65 had been involved in an accident, compared to 30 percent of women in the same age group.
However, the survey also notes that while men may be statistically worse off than their female counterparts, they often think they're better drivers.

"(M)en consistently rated their driving skills higher than women when asked," Robinson said. "It seems that, while men performed poorly on the questionnaire and typically had a worse track record on the roads, they believed that they were good drivers."
IN BEFORE THE INSECURE MEN FLOCK TO THE REPLY BOX TO DEFEND THEIR MANHOOD LOL!

A W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
T-37
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 175624
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wichita, KS
Vehicle:
1234 RIGHT IN THE
SYRUP

Default

The more points you have on your license the better, right?...sorta like the NASIOC point system?
T-37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
A W
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265433
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-37 View Post
The more points you have on your license the better, right?...sorta like the NASIOC point system?
So then the guys who play golf are the guys who are the better drivers?
A W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
SWP n Gold
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 110783
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Stamford, CT
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

I attribute it to men being more aggressive than women so they find themselves in the ticket/accident situation more often. Women seem to get into accidents when they're not paying attention and men when they're being aggressive.
SWP n Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Rootus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89821
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: A Series Of Toobs
Vehicle:
2015 STI LE

Default

That's some fantastic science there, Lou.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Mechie3
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 120152
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indy
Default

Doesn't mean much. I think when men say they're better drivers, they refer to skills and abilities in handling a car, not necessarily following speed limits. In other words, men would beat women in autocross or road racing scenarios more often. In fact, they generally do, which is why women have their own classes in autocross, because they don't drive as artfully.


57 percent of men had been involved in one or more accidents compared to 44 percent of women -- How many of them were at fault? I recently totaled my WRX. Yeah, I feel the condecension starting. Wait, it wasn't my fault. A lady (ironic, lol) ran a red light and totaled my car, yet I'd have to check yes to that box.



45 percent of 36- to 45-year-old and men over 65 years old had been caught speeding
See above commentary of skill vs following speed limits. Also, why the funky age groups? Where is, say 25 to 35 and 46 to 64? I chose 25 as the lower limit since that's when insurance companies decide we're mature.


60 percent of men over 65 had been involved in an accident, compared to 30 percent of women in the same age group. -- Again, 65 and over? Where's the 25 to 64 age group? I also see (in my area) far more men driving with women as passengers. Thus, more chances for men to be in an accident.

That's a huge flub, the fact that they didn't normalize the accidents vs time spent driving.

Am I defending men? Yes. Why? From what I observe. I see men are more focused on the act of driving, even if they do drive aggressively (again, definition of better driver in question) while women drive more distracted. From my personal observations, women more often than men view driving as an inconvenience between them and where they want to be while men view driving as something to be good at.
Mechie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
A W
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265433
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
Doesn't mean much.
It's ironic you say that when also admit you're defending at the same time. Actually, it's more of a lie rather than ironic in this case; if it didn't mean much then there's no point to care. But there was a point to care because you're defending so it does mean much.

A W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #8
Len
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39937
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2011 328i 6MT
LMB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
Doesn't mean much. I think when men say they're better drivers, they refer to skills and abilities in handling a car, not necessarily following speed limits. In other words, men would beat women in autocross or road racing scenarios more often. In fact, they generally do, which is why women have their own classes in autocross, because they don't drive as artfully.


57 percent of men had been involved in one or more accidents compared to 44 percent of women -- How many of them were at fault? I recently totaled my WRX. Yeah, I feel the condecension starting. Wait, it wasn't my fault. A lady (ironic, lol) ran a red light and totaled my car, yet I'd have to check yes to that box.



45 percent of 36- to 45-year-old and men over 65 years old had been caught speeding
See above commentary of skill vs following speed limits. Also, why the funky age groups? Where is, say 25 to 35 and 46 to 64? I chose 25 as the lower limit since that's when insurance companies decide we're mature.


60 percent of men over 65 had been involved in an accident, compared to 30 percent of women in the same age group. -- Again, 65 and over? Where's the 25 to 64 age group? I also see (in my area) far more men driving with women as passengers. Thus, more chances for men to be in an accident.

That's a huge flub, the fact that they didn't normalize the accidents vs time spent driving.

Am I defending men? Yes. Why? From what I observe. I see men are more focused on the act of driving, even if they do drive aggressively (again, definition of better driver in question) while women drive more distracted. From my personal observations, women more often than men view driving as an inconvenience between them and where they want to be while men view driving as something to be good at.
Statistics is what it is. This isn't the first time I've seen a study showing that men get into accidents more than women. Just because it doesn't match up with your gut feeling doesn't mean it's wrong. (Unless you are Dick Morris)

Of course on average men are more serious about driving, and technically more adept at it. But roughly speaking, the likelihood of getting into a serious accident is probably something like this.

accident rate ~ (how good you think you are) / (how good you actually are)

And studies like this suggest to me that even if we (men) have somewhat better technical skill, we are way overconfident about it.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
woody06967
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110330
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Canandaigua, NY
Vehicle:
2007 STI Limited
2012 MDX, 2012 TDI

Default

Ha, that implies riding with my wife is like flying. Statistically it's safer than me driving, but it can easily be a terrifying experience.
woody06967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
endlesss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 196720
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
accident rate ~ (how good you think you are) / (how good you actually are)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-37 View Post
The more points you have on your license the better, right?...sorta like the NASIOC point system?
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody06967 View Post
Ha, that implies riding with my wife is like flying. Statistically it's safer than me driving, but it can easily be a terrifying experience.
So glad I stopped in this thread, these quotes made my afternoon more enjoyable.
endlesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
LIQUIDSK8S
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22605
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2002 JDM STI/WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
Statistics is what it is. This isn't the first time I've seen a study showing that men get into accidents more than women. Just because it doesn't match up with your gut feeling doesn't mean it's wrong. (Unless you are Dick Morris)
The problem is, the "statistics" lacked many key pieces of data. They didn't take into account time driven etc (from what I can tell). If a guy were to drive every day of the week, and a woman only 2 times, the man would have a significantly higher chance of getting a speeding ticket/crashing. If you don't take this into account, the claim "woman are statistically better drivers" has no merit.

Another thing, for people over 65, I'm fairly certain there are FAR more men drivers on the road then women. This might stem from men being stubborn and wanting to still drive themselves. So again, if they don't take this into account the results are pointless.
LIQUIDSK8S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Mechie3
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 120152
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W View Post
It's ironic you say that[it doesn't mean much] when also admit you're defending at the same time.
I meant their statistics don't mean much, not that being a better driver doesn't mean much. They're suffering from a case of correlation != causation. I'm an excellent driver. I have boxes full of trophies to prove I am skilled at driving a car. At the same time, back in NY where it didn't matter, I drove 15 over the limit on highways and got 5 tickets/yr. Just because I had tickets didn't take anything away from my skill. My wife had no tickets in that time, but certainly isn't as adept at maneuvering a car, feeling where the limit is, and takes more risk when executing a passing maneuver than I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
Statistics is what it is.
See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub!eDr!ver View Post
The article is mis-titled. The word "better" should be replaced with "safer."
That would have been a more likely conclusion, as that can be backed up by the statistics they used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUIDSK8S View Post
The problem is, the "statistics" lacked many key pieces of data. They didn't take into account time driven etc (from what I can tell).
This is also what I was getting at when I said "doesn't mean much". They left out major key demographics (why? Did it not prove what they wanted to?) and didn't normalize the data for accidents/tickets vs total time spent driving. If you ignore the teenage population, and assume you die at 90, you can drive for a total of 70 years. some of their statistics included only 65+, or only 35% of all drivers (assuming equal distribution among all ages). Their other statistic didn't include 50% of all total drivers.

Seems odd to make such large blanket statements when your data doesn't include huge populations, doesn't normalize the data, and makes conclusions that can't be concluded (ie, better vs safer). That's what I was defending.
Mechie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
boosted25
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316107
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Andover mass
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx sportwagon
Rally blue

Default

also need to remember the fact that more men drive vs woman. especially when together. men are usually the ones behind the wheel on family trips and running errands
boosted25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
vapore0n
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21356
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2010 BMW 335i
Blue

Default

Men tend to drive faster because they are more comfortable with speed.
Men tend to road rage more often
Women drive slower because they are too busy doing their makeup while talking/texting on the phone
Men tend to have the faster car of the house. Women the SUV or minivan
When there is a male and a women on the car, 99% of the time the man is the driver.
Given the above, men are most likely to be given speeding tickets
Women are scary drivers. They either go too slow (everyone flies by next to them) or too fast and crazy (asian friend comes to mind)

There.
Reason why men get higher insurance is because men are most likely at the wheel than women.
vapore0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
SWP n Gold
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 110783
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Stamford, CT
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

That's another thing. Women have a serious advantage when it comes to getting out of tickets, since they're women. Turn on the waterworks or start flirting and 9 times out of 10, they get out of it. And I'm basing this off of what I've been told by females I know.
SWP n Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
mtarr07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 246990
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NOVA
Vehicle:
2010 Wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP n Gold View Post
That's another thing. Women have a serious advantage when it comes to getting out of tickets, since they're women. Turn on the waterworks or start flirting and 9 times out of 10, they get out of it. And I'm basing this off of what I've been told by females I know.
Yup, I know a ton of my female friends that brag about ballin' their eyes out to get out of a ticket. If a guy were to start cyring, the cop would probably just write him another ticket.
mtarr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
REX8
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 24038
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Godspeed Cale...
Default

I'm a 'bad' driver...

I exceed the speed limit.

I often follow too closely if you're blocking the left lane and impeeding traffic.

I often change lanes in gaps in traffic that probably make other driver's uncomfortable (when picking my way through slower traffic).


That being said, I don't cut people off (making them slow down), I always signal, I keep my ass right, am all over my mirrors/blind spots, etc.

IMHO, the world could stand some more aggressive or -bad- drivers. Each year it seems the roads get more and more clogged with people trying to do anything but drive, totally oblivious to the fact that they are impeeding traffic flow.
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: in a minefield of caddishness.
Vehicle:
1984 "Skeletor from
"He-Man"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX8 View Post
IMHO, the world could stand some more aggressive or -bad- drivers. Each year it seems the roads get more and more clogged with people trying to do anything but drive, totally oblivious to the fact that they are impeeding traffic flow.
Amen.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #19
Stretch18
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 239822
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: t(-_-t)
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
It burns when I PP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX8 View Post
I'm a 'bad' driver...

I exceed the speed limit.

I often follow too closely if you're blocking the left lane and impeeding traffic.

I often change lanes in gaps in traffic that probably make other driver's uncomfortable (when picking my way through slower traffic).


That being said, I don't cut people off (making them slow down), I always signal, I keep my ass right, am all over my mirrors/blind spots, etc.

IMHO, the world could stand some more aggressive or -bad- drivers. Each year it seems the roads get more and more clogged with people trying to do anything but drive, totally oblivious to the fact that they are impeeding traffic flow.
This is how I drive. Fast, but not inconsiderate. Now get the **** out of my way...

I've only been in two accidents my entire driving career. Both times I was at a full stop and rear-ended by some bone head. First time by a teenager with a learner's permit. Was at a full stop for more than a minute before I got smashed. The other by a guy that was updating his GPS and didn't notice that everyone was stopped...

I guess the article was talking about them?
Stretch18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
Len
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39937
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2011 328i 6MT
LMB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX8 View Post
I'm a 'bad' driver...

I exceed the speed limit.

I often follow too closely if you're blocking the left lane and impeeding traffic.

I often change lanes in gaps in traffic that probably make other driver's uncomfortable (when picking my way through slower traffic).


That being said, I don't cut people off (making them slow down), I always signal, I keep my ass right, am all over my mirrors/blind spots, etc.

IMHO, the world could stand some more aggressive or -bad- drivers. Each year it seems the roads get more and more clogged with people trying to do anything but drive, totally oblivious to the fact that they are impeeding traffic flow.
That's basically how I drive as well, although traffic simulations seem to suggest that people like us actually slow down the overall traffic flow by making sudden moves, even if we don't explicitly cut people off.

Oh well. I just can't resist a gap in traffic, so there.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #21
A W
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265433
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtarr07 View Post
Yup, I know a ton of my female friends that brag about ballin' their eyes out to get out of a ticket. If a guy were to start cyring, the cop would probably just write him another ticket.
Half of you are completely ignorant when it comes to women getting out of tickets. It's more like 1 out of 10 times to get out of a ticket. Trying to bend the truth in favor of your argument just means you're butthurt, lmao.

As usual, the insecure men WILL defend their pride because that's all they have going for them.
A W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
Godspeed07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 191821
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Florida
Vehicle:
06 STI
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W View Post
Half of you are completely ignorant when it comes to women getting out of tickets. It's more like 1 out of 10 times to get out of a ticket. Trying to bend the truth in favor of your argument just means you're butthurt, lmao.

As usual, the insecure men WILL defend their pride because that's all they have going for them.
Its got nothing to do with insecure...you started a thread with data that is questionable....Period.

There are ambiguous constraints in these surveys, and events that are not being considered. You may think that half of us are ignorant concerneing women getting out of tickets but it sure as hell isn't 1 in 10 times that a woman is let off. I personally know police officers that let women off. I have been in cars with women who have been let off and they even brag about it. How many men brag about getting out of speeding tickets?? Not very many...know why...because it doesn't happen as often. I have never been let off of a speeding ticket in my life.

Why are there men in here defending their driving habbits?...because we are men. You make it sound like its a bad thing for us to take offense...the statement "that means nothing" doesn't mean that the idea that men aren't good drivers means nothing, but rather the data that is supplied means nothing because it is unclearly defined.

Society is trying to make it as though it is wrong for men to get fired up about things...and deem it as their insecurity, or some other b.s. Let a man be a man...because thats what we are.
Godspeed07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #23
k04sti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 171773
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: tampa, fl
Vehicle:
04 wrx sti
jbp dom 3 xtr w meth!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W View Post
Half of you are completely ignorant when it comes to women getting out of tickets. It's more like 1 out of 10 times to get out of a ticket. Trying to bend the truth in favor of your argument just means you're butthurt, lmao.

As usual, the insecure men WILL defend their pride because that's all they have going for them.
As usual, feminist woman thinks that because of one skewed statistic, she thinks that women are better drivers.

Also, it cannot be denied that women get out of tickets easier than men, as the majority of cops are male. Well... I guess you have to be kinda attractive... I guess you haven't gotten out of a ticket and you're the one being butthurt....lmao.....
k04sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #24
sr20dehauler
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 98950
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
RIP - Subaru FXTi
SOLD - B13 SE-R

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W View Post
Half of you are completely ignorant when it comes to women getting out of tickets. It's more like 1 out of 10 times to get out of a ticket. Trying to bend the truth in favor of your argument just means you're butthurt, lmao.

As usual, the insecure men WILL defend their pride because that's all they have going for them.
My wife has gotten out of her past 2 and is hitting more like 4 out of 10 without BSing or crying... so ymmv
sr20dehauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #25
shikataganai
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 92634
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2007 Land Cruiser
2013 LEAF

Default

I used to drive quickly on backroads, and was good in the sense that I was locally competitive in my class in autocross (B Stock in an RX-8). Then I totaled my WRX in 2006, with my own driving overconfidence at least partly at fault.

Since then I've become a safe old man at heart. I don't tailgate. I don't speed: I'll do an indicated 46 mph in 40 mph zones and sit on cruise control in the right lane at an indicated 60 mph on 55 mph freeways. I don't swerve about. I try to maximize the use of regenerative braking in the wife's Prius.

Perhaps my testosterone levels are down...
shikataganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.